FORUMS: list search recent posts

Change Comp Size Without Loosing Quality?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zevie Tannenbaum
Change Comp Size Without Loosing Quality?
on Dec 31, 2010 at 12:17:06 am

I have a comp. which is 1676 X 842, and when I import it into my FCP Timline, (720 X 480), it looses most of its quality. When I try changing the After Effect comp. to 720 X 480, it also looses most of it's quality within After Effects, even before I start rescaling the video for the 720 X 480 comp...

The video looks great when it untouched, and exported on the default frame size and it looks fine on a new FCP Timeline... Any ideas?

Thanks,
Zevie

Return to posts index

Gary Hazen
Re: Change Comp Size Without Loosing Quality?
on Dec 31, 2010 at 12:46:04 am

This thread might be helpful:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/991606

Return to posts index

Zevie Tannenbaum
on Dec 31, 2010 at 12:51:25 am

Funny that you found that post, its mine ;) I was never able to preserve the quality. Here's what I did. Made a fresh new comp. (720 X 480), what I needed for FCP and then Pre-Comped the Comp. (1650 X 1080). Rescaled the pre-comp to fit into my 720 X 480 and exported it. The quality of the 720X480 video was not even close to as clear as the original.

I should mention I am not working with video, I'm working with screenshots I took with my computer, then edited with Photoshop, and what I am animating is Photoshop Layers...

Return to posts index

Gary Hazen
on Dec 31, 2010 at 3:17:38 pm

[Zevie Tannenbaum] "Funny that you found that post, its mine ;)"
Yes I know. I was hoping you would read Dave's response again.

None of your posts mention anything about codecs. I think that's the disconnect here. Do a little research on codecs and your battles with retaining quality will become less troublesome.

Once you learn about codecs go back and read Dave's post again.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Dec 31, 2010 at 2:09:56 am

I'm really having a hard time understanding the question. What do you mean by "loss of quality?"

Naturally, there will be substantial loss of sharpness going from a high resolution to a dramatically lower one. Also, the two aspect ratios (1676 x 842 [square pixels], and 720 x 480 [0.91 PAR]) are very different, so you must either crop, squeeze, or letterbox your content to make it fit.

How are you monitoring your footage?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Zevie Tannenbaum
on Dec 31, 2010 at 5:52:31 am

Below are two images. The first one is how the video looks untouched and the second one is how the video looks after its dropped into my 720 X 480 timeline...

*To really see the difference you have to click on each image to view it in large...

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Dec 31, 2010 at 2:35:26 pm

What is your exact workflow, step by step?

How are you scaling your main comp down in AE? Are you using a preset for your output comp? How are you rendering from AE? What sequence preset are you using in FCP? How did you generate the screen grabs you shared here?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Zevie Tannenbaum
on Jan 2, 2011 at 8:51:07 am

I'm away from home now, but I remember correctly, I first pre-comped the larger res. comp, then created a new comp. (720 X 480) and dragged the pre-comp in and scaled it down using the mouse (V key).

I then exported it using the default settings and also tried using ProRes 422 (HQ), which made the quality a little better.

Next, I imported it into my FCP timeline, and the quality wasn't too clear...

* I'm going to read more about codecs, but is my problem in the way the video is compressed?

Thanks for all the help so far,
Zevie

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]