FORUMS: list search recent posts

Grainy Video

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vince Cracchiolo
Grainy Video
on Dec 29, 2010 at 10:01:03 pm

I am trying to do green screen videos for sites that I create. The best that I have done so far is at:

http://northwindsbuilding.com/

I think I have the audio down pretty good, but it just has a grainy look to it to me. I am using Keylight in Adobe AE, and I just can't seem to get rid of that graininess. So I am thinking it might be the video footage I am shooting. I am using a green screen that I light separate from the talent, and I have played with different settings on the camera as well as the zoom and how far away I shoot. The footage just ends up looking the same. I am going to try to attach some original footage to this post, can anyone please help with any ideas what I might try?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Grainy Video
on Dec 29, 2010 at 10:19:10 pm

It looks like the green screen might have been too brightly lit; keylights tends to add grain to shots like that.

The workaround: use the key you now have as an alpha matte for the footage. It should help. Depending on how far the subject is from the key wall, spill suppression could become an issue.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Dec 30, 2010 at 7:50:19 pm

You could try some more tests- if you use the model from the example site it will not get boring...
On a serious note- are you shooting DV by any chance?
If so, many of the issues come with the footage itself. Also the camera you are using may influence the way your final looks.
Since I do not know those specs here's a few things to think of:
Use a HD camera.
Convert the final clip to a lossless format before you pull the key in AE- this way you will get all the color info in all your frames.
If you have to use DV- shoot with the camera sideways (this way you get a much larger image of the subject), skip the tape and record to a conputer directly and then convert to a lossless format before you pull the key.
Combine Keylight with a Matte Choker.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Vince Cracchiolo
on Dec 30, 2010 at 8:04:56 pm

Thank you for responses so far. I am going to work with the video tomorrow based on these responses and I will let you know my results. I am using a canon FS20 which a few people have told me should be sufficient for what I am trying to do.

Return to posts index

Vince Cracchiolo
on Jan 4, 2011 at 8:29:48 pm

All right, I have had a little time to play with this now. I have converted the original .MOD file to an AVI then imported into AE. I then applied Keylight then a Matte Choker. I then copied the layer and made it an Alphe Matte. I then exported as an FLV file so that I could load it from an SWF file. Here is the result so far(I have not included any audio).

http://tjlcontracting.com/index-test.html

I think it is looking better than what I did with the Northwinds site mentioned earlier, but the edges are still pretty fuzzy. Any tips on what I could try to do with those?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 4, 2011 at 8:54:51 pm

Sorry, I didn't see any chroma key work on that link you provided.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Vince Cracchiolo
on Jan 4, 2011 at 8:59:16 pm

Hmmm, not sure what the problem is, it comes up in IE and FF for me. She loads right over the website towards the top, kind of in the middle. I am seeing a little green in her blond hair too that I did not notice before. She was about 5 feet in front of the green screen. I did the shoot with the camera zoomed out so I was closer to her. In previous shoots I was as far away as I could and zoomed in as close as I could get. I just wanted to see what the difference was.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 4, 2011 at 9:37:14 pm

Well, I don't know if I necessarily have to see the result. You wrote the following:

"...I have converted the original .MOD file to an AVI then imported into AE. I then applied Keylight then a Matte Choker...."

That's a sort of mpeg file, isn't it? HDV, right? You may have shot in HD, but the color resolution of mpeg video isn't good AT ALL. It's especially dodgy at the edges of a chroma key subject... right where you don't want it to be when chroma keying.

You may have to just live with it. To take care of spill, there's nothing that says you can't use multiple instances of AE's Spill Suppressor.

To learn more about color resolution, you ought to look at a video podcast called "the road to 1080p (part 2)". It 'splains a lot. And HDV's color resolution isn't any bettter than DV's color resolution.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Vince Cracchiolo
on Jan 4, 2011 at 9:48:00 pm

All right, I am almost satisfied with the quality, so if I have to live with it this way that is cool. But do you think I am going to need a better camera? I have a Canon FS20, and I was told that would be fine for website green screen. I will check the video you mentioned, thanks again for all your help.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 4, 2011 at 10:01:25 pm

For a camera, I'd go with one of Panasonic's P2 cameras, like an HVX 200. You might be able to pick one up comparatively cheap on ebay; Panasonic has come out with newer cameras.

Their primary virtue: they record in DVCPro HD: twice the color resolution of HDV cameras! I key with footage from a P2 camera all the time. Piece o' cake!

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]