FORUMS: list search recent posts

recreation of an "in studio looking" free credit report commercial

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick Holland
recreation of an "in studio looking" free credit report commercial
on Dec 21, 2010 at 9:40:41 pm

Hello,

I'm working on a project that uses 4 people on stage to recreate a FREE CREDIT REPORT commercial where the band is playing a 1:30 parody song in a big white empty studio...seemingly. I am an apple user that has recently learned motion 4 and realize the keying capabilities of motion 4 are less than adequate. All our talent was shot on green screen at various angels.

Previously this week, on the MOTION forum, I posed the question on whether I should use motion for this project or learn the after effects CS5 that I recently acquired. It was suggested to export from FCP to After Effects, key the footage in After Effects via keylight, and then import as an animation into Motion 4 for the compositing and animation.

Why not just stay in After Effects for everything? The projects is 1:30 seconds with 1 track of sound. The basic training of After Effects via VIDEO COPILOT seems to have taught me that After Effects can do everything that Motion 4 can.

Any thoughts? I will continue training on After Effects via Lynda.com over the holiday season.

Thanks for the help.

Rick Holland

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: recreation of an "in studio looking" free credit report commercial
on Dec 21, 2010 at 9:50:44 pm

[Rick Holland] "Why not just stay in After Effects for everything? "

Because when it comes to fast and easy editing, AE makes a great doorstop, just as Motion would. An effects application is no place to do editing.

Get your edit right. If you're running FCP, capture your video by the book, converting it to ProRes 422. Get the edit locked, and THEN you're ready for effects work... not until then.

Oh, there's no harm in bringing a few clips in for tests, but that's just what they'll be: tests. Unless you have the patience of a saint, you'd have a tough time finding the spots that use any successful tests.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: recreation of an "in studio looking" free credit report commercial
on Dec 21, 2010 at 9:54:42 pm

AE definitely has the tools to do what you're looking for. Keylight is a really great keyer. My suggestion is to use AE all the way. A few useful tips:
Use light wraps for compositing - the cow and http://maltaannon.com great resource for that and other AE stuff.
Search for Dave's stock answer #1 on this forum - great insights about compression and file formats.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Rick Holland
moving keyed footage from fcp 7 to motion 4
on Dec 22, 2010 at 2:00:11 am

Sorry for the confusion. All the steps you suggest are completed Dave. All edits of the talent are done in FCP as of today and ready to be keyed and animated.

With that in mind, what's the workflow you'd prefer? Composite and animate in Motion 4 or After Effects.

Thanks for the advice.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: moving keyed footage from fcp 7 to motion 4
on Dec 22, 2010 at 2:26:01 pm

I would say it depends on your deadline.
AE is capable of everything Motion can do (and more), but you may not know it well enough to work quickly through it. I am a big fan of using the tools you know, especially when under a deadline. However, I'm a bigger fan of After Effects :) So if you have time, I'd say AE all the way.
Here's a great resource for beginning in AE.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]