FORUMS: list search recent posts

The judder mystery!!!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Morris
The judder mystery!!!
on Dec 16, 2010 at 12:31:09 pm

I'm trying to create a simple movie clip of a horizontal pan in After Effects. But it seems impossible without judder/jitter - whatever it's called. I've read lots of posts on this but no-one seems to have an answer. Here's what I've done:
Imported a jpg of a stone bridge 1880 x 720
Set composition to 25 frames/s and 1280 x 720
Set anchor point to 0,0 - top left
Set position to 0,0 and created key frame
Move photo to -600,0 and set keyframe at 6 seconds
That's a movement in whole pixels!! 100 per/s or 4 per/frame
Rendered to QT movie
It looks terrible - smooth jitter, smooth jitter across the pan.
I've tried 50 frames/sec (little better) and played with frame blending, motion blur, directional blur - no better
Rendered to different compression even H.264 - no better
It could be my computer not able to keep up - but it's a reasonably new PC with pretty good spec. I'm trying to make a HD video for the web with this clip and some timelapses. If my computer can't keep up with this movie then the average computer will also struggle - so most people will see the same problem. Is it too much to ask for a smooth pan or are average computers these days just not up to it. I don't believe this is an optical illusion by the way as the pan is smooth in parts. Any help appreciated!!

Steve Morris

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: The judder mystery!!!
on Dec 16, 2010 at 4:44:38 pm

What's the data rate of the files you're rendering?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Steve Morris
on Dec 16, 2010 at 6:02:32 pm

It depends - I've rendered it so many times with different options. For my latest it's a 10Mb file with a data rate of 13mbits/s. I've tried putting the format slider for QT export in all positions from low to high quality - it makes no difference. Any help appreciated!!

Steve Morris

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Dec 16, 2010 at 7:02:01 pm

I'm with Dave, does this judder show up in RAM previews or just in the render?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Steve Morris
on Dec 16, 2010 at 7:11:22 pm

Thanks. I can see it in the RAM preview too!

Steve Morris

Return to posts index

zero cool
on Sep 14, 2012 at 9:17:04 pm

Hi,

I've been having the same problem. The animation I created is a simple move of a picture from the left side of the screen to the right (simple position animation).

When playing back AE exported videos rendered at 1920x1080 (1080P, 29.97fps Dropframe, 6-10mbps, H264, Best settings) the animation looks jittery in both windows media player and quick time. It's much worse in quick time because it seems like a whole bunch of frames were dropped. Scrubbing the time bar doesn't really help either. This is weird since h264 is supposed to be really good in Quicktime for 640x480 videos.

The thing is if I play the video back on a HD plasma tv, it looks fine. The animation is perfectly clear and it doesn't look like it does on the comp. I know this doesn't help if you need to play your videos back on a computer for presentations. But if your goal is to play it back on a TV, then it should be fine.

Good luck.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]