FORUMS: list search recent posts

big problems with black flashes and breakup

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mick Middleton
big problems with black flashes and breakup
on Nov 22, 2010 at 5:47:58 pm

Hi guys,
Massively frustrated by renders from CS5 on my laptop turning out with flashes and digital breakup. I am rendering to either uncompressed AVI's or Lagarith codec, and getting horrible results.

It seems to be very very random, and the breakup is not appearing on RAM previews, or when rendered as image sequences. I have tried everything I can think of, it doesn't make sense.

The material is being rendered to a drobbo connected via USB.
It may be due to some footage from a canon7D. But if I turn off the layer, or even a pre-comp, the errors are still there.

ANy help is much appreciated!

Mick

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: big problems with black flashes and breakup
on Nov 22, 2010 at 5:59:08 pm

There are three common causes for AE weirdness:
  • Got the free update to AE 10.0.1, which is a must-have for AE users? It's just a download away.
  • Using Open GL to accelerate rendering? Turn it off in Preferences. Here's a big hint -- the guys at Adobe don't use Open GL to accelerate renders; they keep it turned off.
  • Got 8GB or less on your machine? Turn off multiprocessing and leave it off until you get more memory. Consider 12 GB as the bare minimum to use multiprocessing, 16 GB is better, 24 GB is even better... you get the idea. AE looooooves to eat up RAM. With that in mind, check out the latest recommendations for memory and processor allocation:
http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/10/please-try-recommended-memory-settings-for-after-effects-cs5-and-give-feedback.html

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mick Middleton
on Nov 22, 2010 at 7:34:26 pm

Hi Dave,
This is crazy. I tried everything you said, and still no good.
I was able to render to image sequence, but then could not render to .avi or .mov without similar errors.. sometimes the black flashes were flashes of video from later in the render...

I brought the image sequence into Sony Vegas, and everything previews beautifully, but when I try to render a h264, the same old black flash frames appear... 2 seperate programs!

What could it be?

Please help

Mick

Return to posts index

Mick Middleton
on Nov 22, 2010 at 7:36:04 pm

Strike that.... it's not in vegas also.... that's me without sleep...

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Nov 22, 2010 at 8:46:10 pm

remove some variables 1st...

1. is the footage ok played back in the camera?
2. convert the h.264 footage to uncompressed before importing into AE
3. breakup is not appearing on RAM previews" uncompressed AVI's or Lagarith codec are corrupted or not compatible with a 64 bit OS.

http://technicolorsoftware.hostzi.com/

Return to posts index

Mick Middleton
on Nov 23, 2010 at 12:18:13 am

1. is the footage ok played back in the camera?
Can pretty much rule out camera files, as it is happening with basic mograph comps.

3. breakup is not appearing on RAM previews" uncompressed AVI's or Lagarith codec are corrupted or not compatible with a 64 bit OS.

Not sure what you mean? The RAM previews are clear as day, but the renders are randomly messed up. Uncompressed AVI and MOV, and lagarith.

Cheers

Mick

Return to posts index

Philippe Lessard
on Nov 23, 2010 at 3:31:30 pm

Like said above, check if the footage is not corrupted, and again make a uncompress(lossless) file out of your h264 before import in AE, then turn off multiprocessing, go to your AE preferences while pressing shift+alt on mac( for pc not sure) and go to the secret menu and set the ram to be purge every frame! And purge everything from the edit menu before starting your render.Render to a uncompress codec like animation.Dont forget to reboot your computer before.

If nothing work, troubleshot for a problematic plugins, i remember having this issue with bcc plugins applied on a masked layer, i haved to precomp the effect, then apply a mask.

Hope this help

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]