FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do I create a 3D animation from a 2D Illustrator Sphere made up of dots without using CC Sphere?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Heywood
How do I create a 3D animation from a 2D Illustrator Sphere made up of dots without using CC Sphere?
on Nov 11, 2010 at 12:10:15 am

Does anyone have suggestions as to the most effective way to do this? I have a logo from a client already designed in Illustrator. It's a sphere made up of a series of dots. I have to find a way to make it rotate like a globe in After Effects. How can I make this 2D graphic appear 3D without using CC Sphere?

Sean

Return to posts index

Matthew Keane
Re: How do I create a 3D animation from a 2D Illustrator Sphere made up of dots without using CC Sphere?
on Nov 11, 2010 at 1:42:19 pm

Without seeing the logo, it's hard to say exactly what will work. My first thoughts were, ermm, CC Sphere and then Trapcode Form, if you have the plug-in and want a lot of dots to make up your sphere.

If the logo is simpler, with the 3D aspect suggested by dots of different sizes, you might be able to recreate it by importing the elements separately, and then placing them in z-space, which might allow a slight camera move to give the impression of a 3D sphere, but that's going to be fiddly to set up and not entirely convincing (you're not going to be able to orbit all the way around it).

If you have CS5, then the Freeform plugin, and a gradient map, would allow you to deform a flat image into something a bit more spherical, which would react to lights.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: How do I create a 3D animation from a 2D Illustrator Sphere made up of dots without using CC Sphere?
on Nov 11, 2010 at 3:19:49 pm

Having said it's tough, and not having the benefit of seeing the logo, here's a thought:
  • Arrange the Illustrator dots in 3D space until they look like the logo.
  • Parent the dots to a 3D null at the center of the sphere.
  • Rotate the null as desired.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 11, 2010 at 2:40:16 pm

If it's a stylized sphere where all the dots are circular, you won't be able to do it. It will require frame-by-frame animation generated by the logo designer.

Think about this image: equally-sized dots placed on a transparent sphere. From the point of view of a camera, almost NONE of them would appear to be circles, and they'd all be different sizes. Needless to say, they wouldn't be in the same spots as the logo!

So you have a good idea, but it's going to be extremely tough to pull off, and it probably wouldn't look like the arrangement of dots in the logo.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Nov 11, 2010 at 4:09:20 pm

aescripts.com has a script that may help you:

http://aescripts.com/create3dshapes/

you just select a bunch of layers and run a script to form them into a sphere... what i don't know is if it will arrange them in a way that looks like your logo.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Frank Feijen
on Nov 11, 2010 at 7:03:34 pm

Maybe having them all face automatically to the camera might help?

Return to posts index

Sean Heywood
on Nov 11, 2010 at 10:51:53 pm

Gentlemen I want to thank you for your input. I appreciate all of the suggestions and welcome as much advice on this post. Here is the logo just so you have a greater understanding of my dilemma.

Best regards,
Sean

Sean

Return to posts index

Eric Chard
on Nov 12, 2010 at 2:11:57 am

No link.

++++++++++++++++
"Putting the HARM in 'harmonica' since 2005."
++++++++++++++++

Return to posts index

Sean Heywood
on Nov 12, 2010 at 2:18:32 am

Sorry about that... I'm really very new to this forum.

globeofdotslogo.jpg

Sean

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 12, 2010 at 4:17:50 am

Oh, good Lord.

Unless the designer of this logo worked specifically with a 3D animator, the client has absolutely no chance of animating this in 3D.

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice logo -- but the client kind of put the cart before the horse by demanding that YOU should be the one who animates this.

This job is up to the designer... who probably thought, as well as the client, that you have a magic wand that will do such things.

You're hosed.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Sean Heywood
on Nov 12, 2010 at 2:23:23 pm

Hi Dave, Kevin thanks for you input I really appreciate it cause the only solution I was able to come up with was to painstakingly count every dot and do a flat layout and then take that into AE. I used CC Sphere but the logo doesn't appear the same but to the naked eye. I'm not sure if one can tell the difference really. My concern though is that the last shot when the globe is in it's final position it tends to appear somewhat pixelated which is wierd cause the file is a vector. If the video does go through have a look.

Sean

Return to posts index

Matthew Keane
on Nov 12, 2010 at 1:03:13 pm

Wow, yeah, so forget my import-and-place-the-dots idea!

But, assuming that the logo designer probably used some kind of plug-in to wrap the image into 3D, they probably have a flat, unwrapped, version somewhere that you could import into CC-Sphere, wrap around a sphere and take for a spin.

Or, if you really wanted to spend some time, and client money, on it, I guess you could recreate it using Form and some funky gradient maps to control the size of the dots.

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Nov 12, 2010 at 2:23:35 pm

This can be re-created with Particle Playground. Perhaps a 1-3-hour job to get it to look like the original. You're essentially looking at creating a grid made up of dots and then applying a 3D spherical effect onto the grid.

Just remember to create your grid at twice its required length (in pixels) but keeping its height similar as the final output size.

You can do a COW search on one of my Particle Playground tutorials on using Particle Playground to create a grid of objects. Dang! In fact, even CC Repetile may be able to do this.

Good Luck!
RoRK

AE Training in South East Asia. AE templates for sale and rental. Click here for more

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 12, 2010 at 5:56:48 pm

[Roland R. Kahlenberg] "This can be re-created with Particle Playground... ! In fact, even CC Repetile may be able to do this. "

Okay, I've got to start playing with those two effects, and soon. I'm starting to hand out bad advice.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Nov 12, 2010 at 6:29:38 pm

repetile and motion tile could definitely create a grid of circles, but getting the size variation would be tricky... you'd probably need to add card dance...

particle playground would definitely work. i used it a long time ago to create a halftone pattern, which is what that patterns looks a lot like. but particular could create it much faster using a 'layer gird' emitter and setting the layer rgb usage to 'lightness-size'.

of course you still need to create the layer map that will cause the variation in size.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Nov 12, 2010 at 6:55:59 pm

Right On Kevin! CC Repetile doesn't allow for differentiation in the size of the dots. PP is the way to go!

It shouldn't be too difficult futzing with the Min and max values for the Property Mapper as well as starting with a workable Property Mapper Layer.

Cheers
RoRK

AE Training in South East Asia. AE templates for sale and rental. Click here for more

Return to posts index

Sean Heywood
on Nov 13, 2010 at 2:16:28 pm

Dave, Kevin, Roland... Thanks for your support. I'll let you know how it goes. This is a great forum to be in.

Regards,
Sean

Sean

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Nov 14, 2010 at 12:41:00 am

[Sean Heywood] "This is a great forum to be in."

Shamelessly, I have to agree. ;-)

Let us know if you have any specific issues with PP or anything else related to your original Q.

Cheers
RoRK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]