FORUMS: list search recent posts

Line drawing 'sizzling lines'

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jay Falk
Line drawing 'sizzling lines'
on Nov 10, 2010 at 8:49:02 pm

Can anyone give me a pointer on how to make a cartoon's lines 'sizzle' or 'shimmer' like you can see here:

Is this just two slightly different versions of the same image or is there a way to do it from one image? I think it is unlikely people spend the time to make two of everything, it's a very common effect but I have no idea how it is done.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: Line drawing 'sizzling lines'
on Nov 10, 2010 at 9:17:54 pm

the scribble effect can do something similar with the right settings, but you'll need to have vector as masks to use it.

a simpler approach might be to try the turbulent displace effect. you'll need to animate the evolutions and lower the size and amount until you start getting a similar look.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Jay Falk
on Nov 10, 2010 at 9:41:03 pm

Thanks Kevin!

Now you mention it turbulent displace seems quite a logical place to start - didn't cross my mind, which is a bit worrying :)

I'll give that a go right away - I also thought it may be possible by keying out the background kind of badly and then placing a plain white solid behind it - I had to key a wall out from behind an interviewee a while back and his clothing was a very similar color. Along the way I remember dealing with similar shimmering edges on the subject.

Thanks for such a swift response - I'll report back on the result.

Best

Jay

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Nov 10, 2010 at 9:44:36 pm

if the art is keyed, say line art from illustrator, you could also try the roughen edges effect.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Jay Falk
on Nov 10, 2010 at 9:49:05 pm

More Thanks!

Sounds like this will work out one way or another - really appreciate the tips.

I'll post on the results - couldn't really find much on this anywhere.

Jay

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]