FORUMS: list search recent posts

Which version of AE for my hardware?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Philip Stillman
Which version of AE for my hardware?
on Nov 5, 2010 at 3:30:25 am

After many years editing and teaching editing, I have decided to teach myself AE.

Briefly, what I'd like to find out is which version of AE I should buy that will run smoothly on my (older) Macbook Pro (2,1). It does NOT have Open GL graphics ( I have read on this forum where folks disable that anyway):

ATI Radeon X1600:

Chipset Model: ATY,RadeonX1600
Type: Display
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x71c5
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-xxxxxx-158
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.158
Displays:
Color LCD:
Display Type: LCD
Resolution: 1680 x 1050
Depth: 32-bit Color
Built-In: Yes
Core Image: Hardware Accelerated
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Supported
Display Connector:

Core 2 Duo, 2.33 GHz, 3 gigs ram, currently 10.4.11 (tho I can change that). Assorted esata raid drives, etc.

I'd really prefer (right?) an older version that will just run smoothly as I am just learning. Obviously I expect long renders.

So... CS2? CS3? CS4?

Thanks for your time and consideration...

Nature - is the great provider.

Return to posts index

Simon Bonner
Re: Which version of AE for my hardware?
on Nov 5, 2010 at 10:14:09 am

Philip,

Your computer doesn't look like a dinosaur or anything, so I would say you don't need to worry about getting an older version. Besides, I've used AE7 through to CS4 on a succession of not especially high end PCs and have never noticed massive improvements in speed / response over the versions of the software. I've never found it to be the most stable of programmes, so I would expect it crash every now and again on whatever machine I used.

Simon Bonner

youtube.com/simonsaysfx

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 5, 2010 at 3:22:18 pm

If you're learning AE, I'd say go with AE 8 (aka CS3), which I bet you could find on Ebay or someplace.... and I'd trick your machine out with RAM. AE just LOVES lots of memory -- it's very beneficial for AE work, even learning AE. I believe your machine maxes out at 8GB, which you should get.

And even though 8 gigs sounds like a lot, you should NOT try to use AE's multiprocessing feature.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Nov 5, 2010 at 3:42:04 pm

i'd agree with what everyone has said, adding that cs2 (listed as ae7.0) is not a consideration for your mac.

that version was powerpc only and will run like a dog on an intel based mac, it will be slow and crash frequently.

also, when purchasing used software on ebay, be a bit careful. if the previous user did not de-authorize their software prior to uninstalling it (from ae, they should click help>deactive to allow others to activate the software), you'll be on the phone for a while with ae support trying to get your software authorized.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Philip Stillman
on Nov 5, 2010 at 5:01:14 pm

Cool. CS 3 then. I hope that my measly maxed out 3 gigs of ram won't bog the whole system down - tho I have become accustomed to long renders when I do compositing with multiple video streams - I go a little nuts when the mouse moves 10 seconds after i command it to.

Thanks Alot...

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Nov 5, 2010 at 5:53:43 pm

with 3gb ram, you'll not want to try enabling multi-processing (it should be off by default), and i would avoid having any other applications open when working in ae, particularly when previewing and rendering... let ae have as much of that 3gb as possible.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Philip Stillman
on Nov 5, 2010 at 4:55:13 pm

Thanks for your reply. My macbook pro "maxes out" with only 3gb of ram. Bummer, huh?
Should I even bother to install CS3 with this caveat + no OpenGL support? Like I said, I'll be teaching it to myself, but knowing me, I'll have a complex project up in no time. I can wait for renders. What does bug me is when the system gets so bogged down that the mouse even responds like it has Parkinson's.

I won't bog this forum down with anymore "basic' questions. I'll move over to AE Basic if i have more.

Thanks in advance...

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 5, 2010 at 5:08:04 pm

[Philip Stillman] "My macbook pro "maxes out" with only 3gb of ram."

There are a LOT of people who know hardware better than I do, but to me it certainly sounds like you're stuck between a rock and a hard place with your laptop. You can't get carried away running complex projects in AE 8 on that thing.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]