FORUMS: list search recent posts

D1 Uncompressed YUV 4:2:2 Footage to Encore

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Strickler
D1 Uncompressed YUV 4:2:2 Footage to Encore
on Nov 3, 2010 at 12:21:31 am

I have some footage supplied to me that is Uncompressed D1 (720x286) YUV 29.97 footage as Quicktime files. They were output with fields. (from Smoke)

No matter what I've tried, I can't get them to look right after I compress and add them to my Encore project. I see field issues.

Any words of wisdom on the best way to process them and into what format? I do DVD's all the time, but something about these files just aren't making things happy.

I've tried removing the fields, I've tried to render them out of AE as ProRes and then compress.

This is driving me MAD! Thanks.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: D1 Uncompressed YUV 4:2:2 Footage to Encore
on Nov 3, 2010 at 12:31:49 am

[Steve Strickler] "I have some footage supplied to me that is Uncompressed D1 (720x286) YUV 29.97 footage as Quicktime files. They were output with fields. (from Smoke"

I'll bet you mean 720x486 and NOT 286. The field order is Lower Field first, and should be interpreted as such. Since you mention Encore and DVD's, I'll assume you're trying to make a DVD with this stuff. Use the DV comp preset, add the footage, scale the footage to fit the comp (Cmd-Opt-f Mac, Ctl-Alt-f Win) and render in the high-quality codec of your choice lower-field first.

Use something else to compress to mpeg2, because AE doesn't do a good job of it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Steve Strickler
on Nov 3, 2010 at 12:37:01 am

Thanks for the speedy reply. I did precisely that... interpreted lower, placed in DV comp, field-rendered as ProRes422, the ran though Adobe Media Encoder CS5.

Whenever I bring it into Encore (or DVD Studio) the fields still look crappy. I tried to burn and display on a set top and it still looks bad.

I wonder if something is screwy with the file output I got!? Ideas?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 3, 2010 at 1:03:58 am

I wonder if last guy to have this footage didn't screw up the field order. That's about all I can think of. I know people who run FCP frequently step on a tender part of the anatomy with golf shoes in an ill-advised attempt to deinterlace interlaced footage.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Steve Strickler
on Nov 3, 2010 at 2:35:15 pm

Yes, it's about killing me here. No matter what I do it looks bad.
I guess I need to go back and yell at the provider. How could I tell if the fields are wrong?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 3, 2010 at 3:03:49 pm

There should be a procedure for checking field order in AE's Online Help... which is searchable via key words. If I had time right now, I'd find it for you; unfortunately, I don't.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Mike Zimbard
on Nov 3, 2010 at 3:05:28 pm

Are you talking about AFTER you burn the DVD and view it on an external monitor through a DVD player? Or are you talking about the way the fields look in your encoded .m2V movie on your computer screen? Fields are not going to look correct on your computer screen - you'll definitely see the interlacing. Everything might actually be fine. I'd burn a DVD and then check and see how the video looks. Does it playback smooth or is it jumping? Also, to answer your question the way you'd know if the field order was flipped from the other vendor is when you view it on an external monitor, you will easily notice a field mismatch. The playback will be jumpy and stuttery. Again this is something you cannot detect on a computer monitor and you'll need an external monitor. Good luck!

Return to posts index

Steve Strickler
on Nov 3, 2010 at 3:11:51 pm

Once converted/resized the D1 footage and re-rendered out of AE, it now plays ok, but I can see fields in the playback. I am viewing on a set top player on an LCD. I don't recall having seen this before when running SD stuff.

Return to posts index

Steve Strickler
on Nov 3, 2010 at 3:16:29 pm

How 'bout a pull-down issue on export? I think there was some confusion and some was shot 24 and some was shot 29.97?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 3, 2010 at 4:15:53 pm

[Steve Strickler] "How 'bout a pull-down issue on export? I think there was some confusion and some was shot 24 and some was shot 29.97?"

Oh, Good God no.

If this is one one big, log clip with mixed 24p footage and 29.97 footage, you're hosed.

Can you reveal how the originating party intends to use your work once the project is complete? And please don't say that they intend to show this at film festivals at 24p... if so, they did the whole thing entirely WRONG, and you shouldn't have to deal with that mess.

Does anybody in that outfit know the first thing about frame rates and pulldown cadences, or they still at the level of thinking, "A miracle occurs"?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Steve Strickler
on Nov 3, 2010 at 5:52:18 pm

Dave,
Thanks for the laugh...no it's just for DVD. I am not sure why it has fields at all since it was all shot progressive. Apparently the job was mastered to tape, then pulled back in to generate files for me. Who knows WHAT happened during all of that mess. There was some 23.98 that was brought back as 59.97.
Getting dizzy over here! ;-)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 3, 2010 at 7:18:42 pm

Sorry, but we're not going to be much help to you. If you don't know how they handled the footage at capture and editing, It'll be darned near impossible to suggest a remedy.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]