FORUMS: list search recent posts

Should I double the ram on my new Macbook Pro?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Arvin Bautista
Should I double the ram on my new Macbook Pro?
on Nov 2, 2010 at 9:44:01 pm

Just got the 2.66ghz i7 Macbook pro 17" to replace my two year old iMac 2.8ghz C2D.

Thinking of doubling my ram from 4gb to 8gb. Checking prices online it's looking to cost about 200 dollars to upgrade. Should I do it?

Currently I'm rendering in AE without multiprocessing; the system chokes trying to do anything else, and the speed difference isn't all that much.

By doubling the ram, what kind of performance boost can I look forward to? Would I be able to both enable multiprocessing while still having hte machine usable, while seeing rendering speed boosts?

Obviously the macbook wasn't chump change, so everything from this point forward I'm even more sensitive to price.

Arvin Bautista
Greasy Pig Studios
Los Angeles, CA
http://www.greasypigstudios.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Yes. In fact, quadruple it.
on Nov 2, 2010 at 9:58:12 pm

[Arvin Bautista] "By doubling the ram, what kind of performance boost can I look forward to?"

Nothing. At work I run AE on a dual quad core Mac Pro with 8 GB, and I wouldn't dream of using multiprocessing. I don't have enough RAM to utilize multiprocessing effectively. If you can trick that laptop out with memory, which I think is 16 GB, you'll have enough to utilize it.

Consider this: I just got a new machine for home, primarily for AE work. My IT friend just installed 24 GB RAM in it. If I could have afforded more, I would have gotten more.

Sorry about the price thing, but AE is the ultimate RAM hog.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Arvin Bautista
Re: Yes. In fact, quadruple it.
on Nov 2, 2010 at 10:14:52 pm

So that makes this interesting. It's a macbook pro, so it can't fit more than 8gb of ram inside (2x4gb sticks). It's theoretically possible, but I haven't found anybody who's done it. Besides, that's probably way too far out of my price range right now.

So the question remains: if I can only upgrade to 8gb of RAM, is it worth it at all to upgrade, or am I basically just wasting money?

Arvin Bautista
Greasy Pig Studios
Los Angeles, CA
http://www.greasypigstudios.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 2, 2010 at 10:25:56 pm

Oh, no, it's well worth it: you'll be able to handle larger layers, and you'll get longer RAM Previews. You just have to realize your limitations, that's all. A laptop just can't do the things a desktop machine can do in terms of AE work.

But then, you can't carry your desktop machine in a backpack. It all depends on your primary use for the machine.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Nov 3, 2010 at 1:37:41 am

[Arvin Bautista] "So the question remains: if I can only upgrade to 8gb of RAM, is it worth it at all to upgrade, or am I basically just wasting money?"

I've got 8GB of RAM in my MacBook Pro -- I think it's well worth the money. I do sometimes use multiprocessing when I think that RAM usage during render will be relatively light. On more complex pieces when I keep multiprocessing off, it's still nice to have the extra RAM for longer previews or keeping other apps open.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]