FORUMS: list search recent posts

poor image quality(blur) when precomposing

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathon Corbiere
poor image quality(blur) when precomposing
on Nov 2, 2010 at 8:32:23 pm

I know this has been posted on the forums before, around 6 years ago but the resolution it came to was a suggestion that I can't work with.

I'm running CS4 and have an 8-core with 10gb RAM. Whenever I precompose multiple compositions within compositions the imagery from the further nested compositions become progressively blurred. After 5 or 6 levels of nesting the graphics/videos become noticeably blurred and crappy looking compare to how they look directly in their comp.

I checked all the quality switches and because I have 3d cameras I cannot collapse transformations.

Does anyone know what could be causing this?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: poor image quality(blur) when precomposing
on Nov 2, 2010 at 9:09:35 pm

[Jonathon Corbiere] "Whenever I precompose multiple compositions within compositions the imagery from the further nested compositions become progressively blurred. After 5 or 6 levels of nesting the graphics/videos become noticeably blurred and crappy looking compare to how they look directly in their comp. I checked all the quality switches and because I have 3d cameras I cannot collapse transformations."

That's exactly what's causing it. Without collapse transformations turned on, AE treats your precomps as rasterized footage. In other words, a 1920x1080 precomp becomes exactly like a piece of 1920x1080 video. As you're seeing, it won't hold up well to repeated scaling.

Collapsing transformations allows AE to see all the way through your nested comps and get at the original footage. Any transformations can be computed with the original footage pixels, not the rasterized precomp of a rasterized precomp of a rasterized precomp's pixels.

Unfortunately, the solution is to collapse transformations. You can preserve 3D through collapsed transformations, but you will need to rethink your camera work.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Andres Lopez-Ovejero
on Mar 16, 2011 at 1:41:06 am

Thank you very much. I was having that exact issue and your answer helped me solve the problem without any hair-pulling. Can't believe it was so easy...

Andres

Return to posts index

Eric Smith
on Sep 14, 2012 at 5:43:35 am

Hello, I'm having a similar blurred image/text layer problem. However, in my case even a layer which is not precomposed, a text layer, is very slightly blurred when I switch on 3d. This occurs regardless of the camera settings, depth of field, etc.

Totally lost for a solution here. Any solutions or suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]