FORUMS: list search recent posts

Auto Trace Masks with fixed number of Verticles

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
steffan kasler
Auto Trace Masks with fixed number of Verticles
on Oct 19, 2010 at 10:13:07 pm

Hello again,

i want to motion morph (reflex plugin) an image to a video.
(im using motion morph because i want the image to move the same way as the video it gets morphed to before it gets blended...)
i have a mask for the image anyway and i autotraced the video.
I converted the autotrace keyframes to linear ones, delted some keyframes, opened the auto traced mask (the image consists of just one single shape so its just one mask) and divided both (the images mask and the video mask) into more or less good corresponding parts.
It worked out surprisingly well, the only problem i see is that the auto traced mask has a different ammount of verticles on every keyframe that makes the morph a bit "bumpy" (sorry for my unbelivable bad english).
So my questions are:

1. is it possible to set a certain amount of verticles for the autotrace?
2.is there a counter for the number of verticles on a selected mask somewhere ?
3. if 1 is no is there another way to make the amout of verticles equal after auto tracing ?

it doesnt have to be very exact, but with changing numbers of verticles it seems difficult to morph.

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
Re: Auto Trace Masks with fixed number of Verticles
on Oct 20, 2010 at 1:16:53 pm

[steffan kasler] "1. is it possible to set a certain amount of verticles for the autotrace?"
Nyet

[steffan kasler] "2.is there a counter for the number of verticles on a selected mask somewhere ?"
Meh?

[steffan kasler] "3. if 1 is no is there another way to make the amout of verticles equal after auto tracing ?"

No
----------------
The number of points a mask has isn't the only defining variable that affects the results of a morph. I've not used ReFlex but if you use AE's Reshape, its Correspondence Points is crucial when morphing between complex shapes or morphing between two shapes that are drastically different. More often than not, in cases such as these two, you will have different number of vertices on both masks.

This is where a property such as Correspondence Points comes into play.

I suggest that you check with the Reflex manual on a similar property. Take note that RevisionfFX has a COW Forum, and they do provide timely assistance over there.

Good Luck
RoRK

AE Training in South East Asia. AE templates for sale and rental. Click
here for more

Return to posts index

steffan kasler
on Oct 20, 2010 at 6:58:49 pm

Hello Roland
thanks for your reply.

i found the counter its in the info panel.if i select the mask it tells me the number of verticles.

about the verticles. i used AE reshape one and i think its more work in my case to use those correspondence points than to manualy adjust the number of verticles of the mask. it is a lot of work but it looks like its worth it.

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Oct 21, 2010 at 2:57:10 am

[steffan kasler] "i found the counter its in the info panel.if i select the mask it tells me the number of verticles"

Is that a Reflex feature? Which version of AE are you using?

[steffan kasler] "i used AE reshape one and i think its more work in my case to use those correspondence points than to manualy adjust the number of verticles of the mask. it is a lot of work but it looks like its worth it."

Hah! 2 out of 3 ain't too bad! ;-)

When applying and moving about the Correspondence Points, it's best to temporarily switch off the effect by clicking on the FX button. Otherwise Reshape can get really slow trying to update the Comp Panel.

Cheers
RoRK

AE Training in South East Asia. AE templates for sale and rental. Click here for more

Return to posts index

steffan kasler
on Oct 21, 2010 at 8:01:50 pm

Is that a Reflex feature? Which version of AE are you using?

no i dont think so. Im using cs5

When applying and moving about the Correspondence Points, it's best to temporarily switch off the effect by clicking on the FX button. Otherwise Reshape can get really slow trying to update the Comp Panel.

i already leaned that lesson the first time i used reshape. :-)
after effects (CS4) just stopped working a couple of times if i didnt turn it off. but what do you expect from 2gb of ram .
thanks for your help

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Oct 21, 2010 at 7:08:25 pm

to simplify the selected masks by removing the least important vertices. For instance, it can be used for smoothing a path generated by the built-in Auto-trace command.

http://aescripts.com/simplifymasks/

http://technicolorsoftware.hostzi.com/

Return to posts index

steffan kasler
on Oct 21, 2010 at 7:57:02 pm

http://aescripts.com/simplifymasks/

oh oh i think that could have saved me a lot of time.
but it will also in the future thank you

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Oct 21, 2010 at 8:21:56 pm

That's a good find Chris. I always thought it was strange that we could use The Smoother to smooth out motion paths but not masks.

Cheers
RoRK

AE Training in South East Asia. AE templates for sale and rental. Click here for more

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]