FORUMS: list search recent posts

Countdown and progress bar with filling letters

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Samuel Marfer
Countdown and progress bar with filling letters
on Oct 18, 2010 at 5:16:03 pm

Hi, i have this intro video http://www.vimeo.com/10878159

i wan to make something similar, but i wan to have a transparent word named "FESTIVIDA"

Here is the image, in this case the text is black, because i dont know how to make it transparent.

I want to animate the green background like the red background of the vimeo video, and filling the letters FESTIVIDA gradually and the number 300, must be decreasing from 300 to 0 seconds.

Any tutorial? Thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: Countdown and progress bar with filling letters
on Oct 18, 2010 at 6:43:26 pm

for the 'festivida' effect, i think you could just use a ramp effect for the green bar, then add the linear wipe effect to wipe it on... then the would would be transparent until the green progress bar began 'filling' it, if i'm under standing what you are after.

for the countdown, you could use the number effect, of you can use a text layer with a slider expression control linked to the source text, then keyframe the slider.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Samuel Marfer
on Oct 18, 2010 at 7:18:02 pm

Ok, buddy i will try to do it, i'm too noob on AE :D

Thanks for reply

Return to posts index

Samuel Marfer
on Oct 18, 2010 at 10:26:07 pm

Kevin, the number effect is ready, now i want an step by step if it's no trouble for you.

I have created a text "FESTIVIDA" I've added the ramp effect to that text, with a green gradient, like the picture.

At this step i'm completely blocked about what to do!

¿To which element i need to aply the linear warp effect?

the FESTIVIDA text should be transparent, so that when the green background animated progresses horizontally to the right, the letters will fill with that vibrant green background.

Here is an example about what i'm asking: http://img213.imageshack.us/i/porcentajea.jpg/

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 19, 2010 at 10:07:58 am

[Samuel Marfer] "I have created a text "FESTIVIDA" I've added the ramp effect to that text, with a green gradient, like the picture. At this step i'm completely blocked about what to do! ¿To which element i need to aply the linear warp effect?"

That text layer is the one you want to add Linear Wipe to. You'll have to keyframe the "Transition complete" property in order to animate the wipe over time.

Since you're new to After Effects, I recommend you read Getting started with After Effects. AE is a very broad and deep application, and it's really hard to just jump right in and be productive. Once you've spent some time mastering the fundamentals, though, you'll be able to produce good work and learn new techniques very quickly.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Dustin Ward
on Jan 6, 2011 at 6:42:42 pm

I like the idea of the slider control and it works great. Can implement this same idea and be able to add a colon to make it look like a clock. I understand that I could use "numbers", but I have always hated that effect. It's annoying that you have to position it with the effect's controls (making you have to precomp it if you want to use it in 3D space) and that you can't get rid of the AM/PM without masking it.

Return to posts index

Dustin Ward
on Jan 6, 2011 at 6:49:06 pm

I guess that wouldn't really make sense because it only counts up and doesn't make revolutions after 60. Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 6, 2011 at 6:59:34 pm

Check the After Effects Expressions forum [link] -- there are plenty of countdown examples.

Here's a good thread:
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/227/10693

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]