FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cannot import .mov file in CS3 or CS4

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wilmar Luna
Cannot import .mov file in CS3 or CS4
on Oct 7, 2010 at 10:32:35 pm

Hi guys,

I'm running into a problem importing a clip that I need to chroma key for a project. Here's what it says on both Quicktime and After Effects:

QUICKTIME:

The document "file name" could not be opened. The movie is not in a format that Quicktime Player understands. You may need to install additional software to open this time of file.

This makes no sense as it is a .MOV file, and these are the details in Quicktime Inspector

DVCPRO HD 1080p30, 1888 x 1062

and another file is

DVCPRO HD 720p60, 1248 x 702

After Effects says something like cannot open "moov" file.

I don't understand why it's not working and my deadline is quickly coming up. Any ideas on how I can solve this problem?

I tried using both AE CS3 and CS4, including Premiere Pro CS3 and CS4. Nothing is recognizing these files at all.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Cannot import .mov file in CS3 or CS4
on Oct 7, 2010 at 10:35:55 pm

You need the DVCPro HD codec for Quicktime.

Check out Raylight.... oh, wait, that's for Windows boxes. Well, maybe they make a Mac version. Or may you can scare one up from Panasonic.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Oct 7, 2010 at 11:06:32 pm

If you're windows, not mac(i couldn't tell from your post), then I believe Super, a free software recoder supports turning a DVCPRO HD into a quicktime png or animation or something lossless.

http://technicolorsoftware.hostzi.com/

Return to posts index

Wilmar Luna
on Oct 8, 2010 at 4:11:18 am

Oh sorry, I have both platforms:

Windows 7 running Adobe Master Suite CS3
and
Macbook Pro on Snowleopard running Master Suite CS4.

I'm going to try out the links you guys provided for me and see if I can get it working on ANY platform. If I can get it working on Windows that will be just as good as getting it working on the Mac.

I will update on the status once I try these out.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 8, 2010 at 2:30:34 pm

For a windows machine, check out Raylight. There's a DVCPro HD READER only ($40), and a reader-WRITER ($140).

I wish Microsoft and Apple would just bury the hatchet on the issue of media files and get on with life.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Wilmar Luna
on Oct 8, 2010 at 6:40:42 pm

Well,

Before spending 40 or 140 dollars I wanted to test out Raylight. So I downloaded the demo, but as soon as I tried to open the .MOV file it says that the license has been expired!

The kicker is that it did that for one file, but didn't do that for the other. Which makes me wary of making a purchase, since I want a guarantee that this will work. Also the project I'm working on isn't a paid gig unfortunately. So I can't ask the client to pay for my codec because it's more that I'm doing a favor for them.

I tried Super and I got the video to playback, but I couldn't figure out how to get it to encode and export. When I did encode it, it would just make the file into a white screen which is the same problem I get on the Mac.

Wow, this codec thing sure is annoying!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 8, 2010 at 6:49:27 pm

Okay, it's time to quit foolin' around. This ain't exactly brain surgery.

Go back to your client -- who obviously can read DVCPro HD, which means the client also has quicktime -- and respectfully ask that the video files be exported to you in Quicktime's PNG codec, which is lossless.

You can do your AE voodoo, RENDER (don't export!) in the same codec, which also supports alpha channels, and everybody's happy and nobody's out any dough.

Since PNG-codec files are much LARGER than DVCPro HD files, make sure you provide adequate storage to transport them. A portable hard drive would be dandy... a flash drive may even do, but I make no guarantees.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Wilmar Luna
on Oct 8, 2010 at 7:02:53 pm

Yes this sounds like a good plan, I e-mailed the client back so hopefully we can try that out.

I can still export it out in Animation format and it'll be fine on their end right? Or is there a different export that is more Final Cut friendly?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 8, 2010 at 7:17:28 pm

I already told you what to do... go re-read it again.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Wilmar Luna
on Oct 8, 2010 at 7:27:32 pm

Ah yes! I misread, when you said RENDER don't Export, I was confused. But then I realized you were talking about NOT using the "file/export" feature in AE and instead use the Render Queue." Which is why I was wondering if I was going to need to export in a different format like Animation, instead of the Quicktime PNG.

No worries, everything is crystal clear now, I use the render queue for all of my projects anyway, way more versatile than the 1 at a time export feature. Quicktime PNG it is.

Thanks for all the help! Hopefully this will provide the results I'm looking for.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 8, 2010 at 7:34:42 pm

PNG's cool. Just about the only time I use Animation codec any more is if I need to make alpha-channeled, animated lower-third supers.
Because of the way Animation encodes, such files are super-tiny... comparatively speaking, of course.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]