After effects to premiere pro and Photoshop to AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hanna Lund
After effects to premiere pro and Photoshop to AE
on Oct 5, 2010 at 3:05:41 pm

Hello,

I was wandering if some superhero out there could help me out:

I have looked through the FAQ's and sort-of got an anwser to my question, but just need to double check as we're due to premier in two weeks and have to get some final edits on the documentary right.

I have an animation sequence, and some altered DV footage that I am preparing in After Effects. These will be then imported into a PAL 16:9 Widescreen sequence in Premiere Pro CS5.

Should the composition sizes in After Effects be 16:9 or 16:9 Square Pixel?

When I import a non-square pixel rendered AVI in premiere pro it looks fine, but in Windows Media player it plays it to look like 4:3.

Also, when I import high-res or 72dpi hand drawn illustrations from Photoshop into After Effects, they seem to lose some of their quality?

Could anyone please help me? I'm going mad and getting very stressed over it!

Thank you muchly in advance
Hanna

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: After effects to premiere pro and Photoshop to AE
on Oct 5, 2010 at 3:18:04 pm

[Hanna Lund] "...when I import high-res or 72dpi hand drawn illustrations from Photoshop into After Effects, they seem to lose some of their quality..."

I'll talk about this part of the problem. 72 dpi is just a guide to video resolution in Photoshop... and it's a standard-definition guide to boot.

Actually, AE knows NOTHING about the concept of Dots Per Inch. It ONLY knows about pixels. Here's an example:

I import 5-inch-wide Photoshop document at 300 dpi into AE. I import a 15-inch-wide Photoshop document at 100 dpi into AE. When I look at both in AE, they are precisely the same size: 1500 pixels wide.

I think you didn't make your Photoshop documents with enough H&V resolution for your AE comp.

You may also be working in an AE comp setting with non-square pixels, and you have the pixel aspect ratio switch toggled on. Don't worry: your rendered AE files will look fine.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Hanna Lund
on Oct 5, 2010 at 3:49:36 pm

Hello Dave,

Thank you so much for your reply, it's really helpful. But stepping one step back, what is H&V resolution and how would I increase this in photoshop? Should I be working on square or non-square canvas for the animation (it will be imported into a prem pro sequence and rendered onto DVD)

Thanks again and kindest regards
Hanna

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 5, 2010 at 3:58:28 pm

I don't think I understand your workflow. Can you describe it, please?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Oct 5, 2010 at 4:15:51 pm

i generally work with comp specs that match the final destination...

so if you destination is pal dv widescreen (720x576, 1.46 par), then that's what i would probably work with in ae, and i wouldn't worry about what it looks like in wmp, unless you have to show a client/producer/boss....

as far as the images, if your images are larger than the working comp size with par taken into account (so larger than 1050x576) they shouldn't lose much quality -- note, any time there is some scaling your quality will degrade a tiny bit with any raster image, so par handling in ae (or photoshop) may soften the image a bit, but it shouldn't be much.

if you are noticing a drop in quality there may be something else happening, maybe you could describe the issue, or post a rendered frame that shows the problem.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Hanna Lund
on Oct 5, 2010 at 4:29:14 pm

Hi Kevin Thanks for your reply. I think that the Scaling may be an issue, a lot of the hand drawn illustrations are being zoomed into with camera movements, it's just a shame that this quality degradation has to be the case when the original drawings are spectacular and clear.
I will change my comps to non-square pixels now, have learned about toggling on and off so makes a bit more sense now.

Kind regards
Hanna

Return to posts index

Hanna Lund
on Oct 5, 2010 at 4:32:49 pm

Hello Dave,

Thanks again for your help. The images have been hand drawn (on seperate layers) in photoshop, these have then been scaled using PS' Widescreen 16:9 preset and brought into AE as a comp and animated. They will then go into Premiere Pro to a SD 16:9 PAL sequence and put onto DVD as part of a documentary.
I think, as Kevin noted, it might be the camera movements that are reducing the quality perhaps?

Kind regards
Hanna

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Oct 6, 2010 at 7:23:38 pm

[Hanna Lund] "it might be the camera movements that are reducing the quality perhaps"

if you are using a 3d camera to zoom in on the images, you may want to try using images that are larger than the comp size, scale it down in the comp to fit the comp size, then use the camera to move in.

this should maintain better resolution for the images.

as a guide to size the images, if the camera move is half the distance to the layer, then you should use an image that is 2x the comp size...

so, assuming your image is placed at 0 in z-space, if the camera starts at -1600 and dollies to -800, you'll want your image to be at least 2100x1152 (2 times 1050x576) -- note, if your image is not a 16x9 aspect ratio, then image may be larger in either x or y to accommodate.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]