FORUMS: list search recent posts

Editing nested comps to sync with music

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
frank nadal
Editing nested comps to sync with music
on Sep 7, 2010 at 9:25:41 pm

I'll try to make this simple. I have a composition made up of two other comps.

Comp A is made up of a couple of effects that look like curtains opening.

Comp B is some sound effects.

I have both comps (a,b) in a 'final' composition.

Comp A which is the curtain, does not sync up with the sound.

So, in order for me to get everything to sync up, I have been having to flip flop between both comps and adjust speed or keyframes in comp A so it will look right in the 'final' comp. I have also been importing the sound into comp A temporarily just so I can get the speed and settings right, then deleting the sound so the 'final' comp looks just right.

Am I making way too much work for myself? Basically I want to edit keyframes, etc in comp A which is within the 'final' comp. Is that possible?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Editing nested comps to sync with music
on Sep 7, 2010 at 9:38:09 pm

[frank nadal] "Am I making way too much work for myself? "

Yup.

[frank nadal] "Basically I want to edit keyframes, etc in comp A which is within the 'final' comp. Is that possible?"

Yeah: nest the comp containing sound effects in the comp with the animation.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

frank nadal
on Sep 7, 2010 at 9:42:32 pm

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 7, 2010 at 9:57:34 pm

Oh, and don't forget -- scrubbing audio in AE is pretty darned easy. Just hit the Caps Lock key and scrub away. The video won't update, and it's easy to mark important spots, either on the audio layer itself or at the top of the comp using the shift-number key combo.

If you use the key combo idea, remember to use the number keys above the letter keys, and not the separate numeric keypad.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

christian kim
on Sep 8, 2010 at 6:23:31 am

HI Frank.

also the beauty of using [comps] is that they can be "instanced" to other comps.

as in, if you were to insert [compB-with music] into [compA-effects], you do not need to "jump" between comps.

beauty of it is, say if you had to make some changes to music as well to get the timing perfect, you could adjust [compB-with music] to your liking within [compA-effects]. then it will update on your [final comp] as well since you are literally editing the same thing.

and once you are done, you could just delete [compB-with music] in [compA-effects].

anyway, point i am trying to make is that once "comped" they behave like instaces.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]