FORUMS: list search recent posts

After Effects CS5 Rendering problems

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nathan Tomerlin
After Effects CS5 Rendering problems
on Sep 5, 2010 at 4:21:01 pm

Hello folks, I've been having some problems rendering in CS5. First, my setup: Dual 12 core Westmere (24 cores w/ hyperthreading), 48GB ram, Quadro FX 3800, Windows 7 pro 64bit. My first problem is that I can't render to the Avid DNxHD codec (quicktime). I've got the PE and LE codecs installed, and my lesser computer at work (same software, less memory) can render to DNxHD just fine. I've tried rendering with and without multiprocessing, and with and without Open GL rendering. It doesn't fail right away, usually after about 60 - 80 frames. My other problem is all of a sudden, possibly after the latest update from Adobe, multiprocessor renders have become very very slow. Something that used to take 15 minutes, now takes close to 2 hrs. I turned off multiprocessing and the scene rendered in about 25 minutes. I adjusted the memory / processor settings to 2GB per core. My system has 48GB so I should be able to use all 24 virtual cores with no problem. However, I did reduce the number of cores available to AE down to 20, then 16...still no change in render times. This just started happening so I'm not sure what the problem is. This is a brand new system, uncluttered, just running CS5 at the moment. Because of the issue with the DNxHD codec, I thought it was an issue with Quicktime, so I tried rendering to AVI, Tiff sequences, etc. When I have multiprocessing switching on, and I'm watching the render progress, it usually goes through the first 100 - 150 frames pretty well, then it will just randomly hang up on a frame...then take about 2 minutes for that one frame...do a few more, etc. Whats strange is that RAM preview using multiprocessing is very fast and works great. Any thoughts?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: After Effects CS5 Rendering problems
on Sep 5, 2010 at 5:23:29 pm

Yeah, you've got a whole bunch of RAM, but did you take into account that the operating system needs some RAM, too?

I'd cut down on the number of cores used for multiprocessing and leave 2GB for other applications. See what happens then.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Nathan Tomerlin
on Sep 5, 2010 at 5:31:14 pm

Thanks for the advice. I definitely did that though. I cut down on the number of cores being used down to 16, which left the system at least 12 GB of ram. I watched the performance manager, and it wasn't coming close to using all available ram. I originally had AE set to use all 24 cores, at 2GB per core. My system had no trouble rendering, working, running photoshop and Media Encoder, Firefox, etc. My troubles started less than a week ago, and I can't explain it. Any thoughts on that Avid DNxHD codec issue?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 7, 2010 at 10:21:03 pm

[Nathan Tomerlin] "Any thoughts on that Avid DNxHD codec issue?"

Sorry, sir, no. I don't mess with Avid codecs, so I don't know anything about them.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Lauren Roundy
on Sep 14, 2010 at 6:25:22 pm

I've been having the same problem! Multiprocessing (as of the latest update) is suddenly useless. When I hit "render" in the queue, AE CS5 lags for exactly 3 minutes and 4 seconds and then doesn't render my comps, but thinks that it did, and moves on to the next comp in the queue, only to lag for another 3 minutes and 4 seconds, and then again, it just moves onto the next comp in the queue without actually rendering anything.

I've had to turn off multiprocessing, so now things that used to take 40 minutes take 5 hours to render. Please help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]