FORUMS: list search recent posts

De-interlacing

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
john titor
De-interlacing
on Sep 4, 2010 at 7:59:31 pm

Is it possible to de-interlace footage thats already been rendered out, for example from the original captured mov file to an iff sequence that has been rendered from maya? In addition are there any HD scan line images available on the web and is there any way to stop them turning blank in AE? I have a few, not hd, which I've imported but they show up white. Initially they didn't import in this way so they did have a visible effect of removing the jagged edges around my footage but now that they show up blank I cant get the result I want to achieve.

Return to posts index

Alperen T. Ayhan
Re: De-interlacing
on Sep 4, 2010 at 9:04:56 pm

here is your wish:

http://videocopilot.net/tutorials/deinterlace_in_ae/

don't forget to download project files. scanlines are included to those files...

Alperen T. AYHAN
http://www.sinamasal.com
Always cinema...

Return to posts index

john titor
on Sep 4, 2010 at 11:11:54 pm

those are the scan line images which are showing up white. However the main problem is deinterlacing already rendered footage, lossless I think?, as they are iffs. Is some kind of data lost in the process which prevents deinterlacing of iffs which have been rendered from the original mov files? I ask this because if so I would be forced to re render everything again from square one and re do rotoing etc. A lot of work in other words I'd like to avoid.

Return to posts index

Alperen T. Ayhan
on Sep 5, 2010 at 11:51:17 am

when I have tried technique above for the finished animation, uncompressed etc *.mov files, I haven't seen data loss. there may be, but I haven't seen.. anyway I don't know FCP but in AE, I made all the stuff pre-comp and then apply that lines, so I didn't need any re render. let's just try..

Alperen T. AYHAN
Always cinema...

Return to posts index

john titor
on Sep 5, 2010 at 2:36:53 pm

Question is it possible to get rid of jagged edges from footage which cant be de-interlaced?

Details: I've found out that de-interlacing stuff thats been rendered from the original file is impossible. The scan line method works, just needed to turn up my resolution quality and zoom in a specific amount. I did this project a while back, when I had no idea about de-interlacing and didn't notice anything wrong with the footage. However everything else (the cg) came together nicely so I want to include it on my showreel, its the best work I've done so far minus the footage problem. However I've lost one of the original aep files which was quite elaborate, it cant be replicated in the short time I have to hand in this showreel.

Return to posts index

john titor
on Sep 5, 2010 at 2:40:48 pm

PS: I've used a matte choker for this footage to get rid of those lines, it looks ok, its a pretty fast moving film piece so I'm wondering, if the other 3 footage files are deinterlaced will it be noticeable?

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Sep 5, 2010 at 3:29:57 pm

the method described in vc's tutorial is destructive... it throws out every other field and also blurs the footage... but any method of deinterlacing will have do some interpolation to gernerate progressive frames -- unless the footage was 24fps with a pulldown... then you're just removing the pulldown to get the original progressive frames back.

ae can deinterlace the footage less 'distructively' by using the interpret footage settings -- note that it often does this automatically for footage that it knows is interlaced, but you can enable this for any footage.

select your footage/image sequence in the project window and choose file>interpret footage>main. then choose the proper field order from the 'separate fields' option (in ntsc, most sd is lower; hd1080 should be upper). if you plan is to render as deinterlaced, then also choose the option for preserve edges.

drag the footage into a new comp (same frame rate) and you should now have progressive footage.

if the edges have a little flutter/jitter try enabling frame blending (frame mix) to help blend in data from the opposite field -- note, if the motion is fast, this can produce a double-image-like effect due to the difference in motion between fields.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Alperen T. Ayhan
on Sep 5, 2010 at 6:01:30 pm

sorry Kevin but interpret footage doesn't work good for me... actually deinterlace function of adobe AE, Premiere is weak.. instead of ae or premiere, may be we can use PS deinterlacing.. That's much more succesful. anyway, about deinterlacing, it's better using another software like fcp,msp,avid etc...

Alperen T. AYHAN
Always cinema...

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Sep 5, 2010 at 10:31:43 pm

the only one you can buy that is 99.999% original quality after de-interlacing, imho is topaz enhance deinterlacer.
algolith used to sell a ae plugin bout 6 years ago but now only sell hardware solutions:/

http://technicolorsoftware.hostzi.com/

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Sep 7, 2010 at 12:53:19 am

alperen, you could definitely use ps... it's quite easy to set up an action that will use ps's deinterlace filter. then just do a batch action from file>automate on a folder full of frames.

i think john will have problems with any route, since it sounds like he is working with entirely cg footage. the methods i've used for deintelacing seem to work resonably well for video, but cg footage seems to show more flaws.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]