FORUMS: list search recent posts

making a plank of wood.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike roberts
making a plank of wood.
on Sep 3, 2010 at 3:08:52 am

hey guys,

I'm wondering if there's a quick way to create a box from a 3D layer in AE. Basically, I'm making a house of cards, but don't want each layer to disappear as you cross the z-axis. Is there a plugin that basically doubles the layer and adds edges? So for example if you had a 200x40 pixel solid, it would turn it into a plank of wood shape.

Any help on this one would be great!

Thanks,
Mike

Return to posts index

Mike roberts
Re: making a plank of wood.
on Sep 3, 2010 at 4:47:31 pm

Hey Chris,

That first link just took me to google and it typed in... OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH, ha, now i get it, you just... and then they... phew... good stuff.

The other links are helpful, but after re-reading my post, I realized it was late and I wasn't clear and what I meant was if there was a plugin that would take an irregular shop, like a DRAWING of a plank of wood and give it sides and a back. I don't want it to be a perfect box, I need something that makes a pancake out of a rasterized layer, similar to taking 100 instances of the layer and putting them so close together that you can't tell them apart.

I realize you can do something like this in Zaxwerks, but I'm in CS5 and they're in 2009. I also was hoping for a solution that works natively like a regular 3D after effects layer.

I have a ton of layers and need it to be light!

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Sep 3, 2010 at 6:59:46 pm

"so close together that you can't tell them apart."

Are you talking about extruding? You can use maltannon's ce extruder or AE's shatter to extrude custom shapes. Also, CS5 has freeform which can make extremely detailed forms.

http://technicolorsoftware.hostzi.com/

Return to posts index

Mike roberts
on Sep 3, 2010 at 8:27:40 pm

Thanks Chris,

Ya, extruder looks pretty much exact. It says it can be textured, so hopefully it'll work with my photoshop art... I'll give it a try and see!

Thanks again,
Mike

Return to posts index

Mike roberts
on Sep 3, 2010 at 8:43:45 pm

Hey, now that i've said that.. so far extruder doesn't work in CS5. He needs to stop going out drinking with the Zaxwerks guys! BUT with a little tweaking, your suggestion of using shatter works pretty well!

Thanks again,
Mike

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]