FORUMS: list search recent posts

Creating Jupiter in After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Haik Katsikian
Creating Jupiter in After Effects
on Aug 23, 2010 at 6:17:36 am

Hello,

I'm trying to make the planet jupiter using CC sphere.I have images from Jupiter, however I need to animate the different bands of gas layers.

Furthermore, I need to create a Zoom in to the Great Red Spot and show the swirling bands in there...

I haven't found any tutorials anywhere...

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Haik

Return to posts index

Karl-Jason Mawdsley
Re: Creating Jupiter in After Effects
on Aug 23, 2010 at 7:57:33 am

Hi Haik

Maltaannon has a great tutorial on creating 3D planets here. I'm not sure if that tutorial covers linking to a camera but if it doesn't you can see how to do it from videocopilot here. That gives you an expression to link the rotation values of cc spehere to the camera position - I modified it slightly to link it to the radius as well so you can zoom in. It was pretty cimple to modify but if you need the exact expression gimme a holler.

In terms of animating your gas bands you just need to simply duplicate your layer > mask of a band of gas > then animate it with the offset effect > repeat for all bands of gas. Then Precompose all your layers and apply CC Sphere.

I thought it would be easier to show than explain so I've done a quick example project file (CS4) and uploaded it here.

Hope this helps.

KJ Mawdsley
Editor/Mograph Designer

Return to posts index

Haik Katsikian
on Aug 23, 2010 at 8:48:51 am

Thank you for taking the time to do that Karl!

I don't need to make a camera zoom into the great red spot, i just need to have a zoomed in shot of it... If that makes any sense. Would I use the offset effect again? How could I get the swirling storms in the spot itself? Would I use mesh warp to get the bands to curve around the red spot?

This is an amazing community, I've been reading forums and looking at the tutorials for a while now and my knowledge has expanded exponentially. I hope I can return the favor sometime soon!

Thanks again!!! It is really appreciated!

Haik

Return to posts index

Karl-Jason Mawdsley
on Aug 23, 2010 at 1:52:20 pm

If you just want to cut to a shot of the red spot you could probably just cut to another copy of the pre-comp without CC Sphere applied - it won't matter that it's not spherical because you're zoomed in so much anyway. Then just scale the layer to the size you want it.
Using mesh warp would work to have them bend round the spot - then mask out the spot on top with a separate layer.
To get movement inside your spot you can apply Turbulent Displace with a mode of liquify and then animate the evolution. Make sure you turn your size and amount down so it's not distorting it too much and also make sure the centre of the displacement is the centre of the spot.

That should look ok.

KJ Mawdsley
Editor/Mograph Designer

Return to posts index

Karl-Jason Mawdsley
on Aug 23, 2010 at 7:58:05 am

Hi Haik

Maltaannon has a great tutorial on creating 3D planets here. I'm not sure if that tutorial covers linking to a camera but if it doesn't you can see how to do it from videocopilot here. That gives you an expression to link the rotation values of cc spehere to the camera position - I modified it slightly to link it to the radius as well so you can zoom in. It was pretty cimple to modify but if you need the exact expression gimme a holler.

In terms of animating your gas bands you just need to simply duplicate your layer > mask of a band of gas > then animate it with the offset effect > repeat for all bands of gas. Then Precompose all your layers and apply CC Sphere.

I thought it would be easier to show than explain so I've done a quick example project file (CS4) and uploaded it here.

KJ Mawdsley
Editor/Mograph Designer

Return to posts index

Haik Katsikian
on Aug 24, 2010 at 8:26:27 pm

Very Cool!

Thanks again Karl!!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]