FORUMS: list search recent posts

Creating Animated Slideshow/Template

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tanya Webb
Creating Animated Slideshow/Template
on Aug 16, 2010 at 3:58:12 pm

I'm creating an animated slideshow/mini movie for a friend using her professional photos. She is not familiar with After Effects so once I'm done, I will need to drop in the photos for her. Is there a way for me to create it as a template (non After Effects) so that all she has to do is just drop in her photos/videos herself? Thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Creating Animated Slideshow/Template
on Aug 16, 2010 at 5:26:53 pm

Yeah, you can create a template. But even if you do that, a person not versed in using AE is going to be at a severe disadvantage. As you're probably aware, AE pretty much demands a good knowledge of the basics, and there are a lot of basics.

You'd spend more time showing her how to use the software than just doing the project yourself. If you think that sounds like fun, well, knock yourself out. Here's the info on templates:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS0E795B4D-2AB3-4d79-88ED...

But still, I think you ought to just do the project for your friend, and when it's done, start teaching her how to use AE.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 16, 2010 at 8:51:31 pm

[Tanya Webb] "Is there a way for me to create it as a template (non After Effects) so that all she has to do is just drop in her photos/videos herself? "

Oh, I missed that the first time! Sorry!

And if I'm reading this correctly, you want to know if AE can create a slideshow template for use in an application OTHER than After Effects, right?

Nope. Can't be done.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Tanya Webb
on Aug 16, 2010 at 9:04:38 pm

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond, Dave--I appreciate it! Bummed though that the answer is what it is! I'll just have to do it for her but I have a feeling that once I do it, I'll be doing more for her which is why I was hoping to create a template. Oh well---thanks again!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 17, 2010 at 5:03:20 pm

[Tanya Webb] "I have a feeling that once I do it, I'll be doing more for her which is why I was hoping to create a template."

Well, there's always the billing process or a trade agreement....

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Lee Kabilyo
on Jun 17, 2015 at 1:37:14 pm

Hey Dave,

I know this is an old thread but finding it was somewhat timely for me.

I just completed a slideshow presentation for a local company that was spot lightng the best places to work in Rhode Island. There were about 52 companies, each with a bunch of photos, and a logo. I had our graphics department put 3 photos into a PSD template I gave them that had 2 alternate positions. I then brought the PSD files into AE as composites and animated them.

It was a long, grueling project with a tight deadline. I swore that unless I could come up a way to create a template with motion, where I could just drop in the photos I would never do it again.

the link you gave the original poster pointed to a page that explained about .aet files, but now how to set up something like I am lookng for.

Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Adam O'Hern
on Jun 17, 2015 at 2:16:10 pm

You could do this by creating the slideshow using a folder full of stand-in images with serial names:

project.aep
images/
01.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg

You can save an Effect preset with an expression that does your transition based on the in-point and out-point of each slide, so then all you have to do is add the numbered images to a comp and line up the timing.

When you're friend has her photos ready, all he/she has to do is just rename her files with the same serial numbers (you can use Bridge to do this in bulk), and then replace the stand-in files in the images folder, render, and done!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]