FORUMS: list search recent posts

Behavior Fade in and Out - Frames Question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phil LeBeau
Behavior Fade in and Out - Frames Question
on Aug 10, 2010 at 4:35:53 pm

Hi - I am constantly using the Fade in and out behavior and having the frames fade in and out at 30 to 45 frames beginning and end.

Question 1: Can I assign that behavior to a hot key or to a Keyboard short cut?

Question 2: The default frame fade is 15 frames, can i change that to 30 or 45 frames?

I am using CS4

Thanks so much.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Behavior Fade in and Out - Frames Question
on Aug 10, 2010 at 5:23:23 pm

Ah, I see you're used to other applications. AE 9 is incapable of doing behaviors as Motion might do.

However, you can create an Aimation Preset, which will include effects, keyframes, the whole ball of wax.
Here's how:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS3878526689cb91655866c11...

Don't worry that this is AE 10 Help. IUt works the same in AE9.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Phil LeBeau
on Aug 10, 2010 at 5:56:12 pm

Ok, I see.

I am wondering if I worded my question right. In AE you know the Effects and Presets area, and then under Behaviors, ( I think ) there is the "Fade In+Out frames" behavior.

I drag that on top of my clip and then in the effects window, I can change the duration of the fade in and out.

Many times i use a different filter or effect and then when I want to fade something in and out, I have to go look for the Fade In+Out behavior again.

It would be cool if I could click on the clip and then hit a magical key, like the number 1 button and then it adds it for me with the fade in and out frames at 30 frames instead of the default 15 frames

Actually, if there was a magical key to do all my work for me, that would be even better :-)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 10, 2010 at 6:01:01 pm

[Phil LeBeau] "It would be cool if I could click on the clip and then hit a magical key, like the number 1 button and then it adds it for me with the fade in and out frames at 30 frames instead of the default 15 frames "

You really don't want to do that. Well, that's not fair to say, you might want to... but I wouldn't advise it.

If you look in AE Help at all the keyboard shortcuts currently available, I challenge you to find a "magic" keyboard shortcut that isn't already being used.

If you like delving into AE's preferences file or remapping your keyboard, knock yourself out. As for me, I'll keep mine the way it is, thanks.

There could be another possibility: a script. Go check out AEEnhancers and see what turns up.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Phil LeBeau
on Aug 10, 2010 at 6:04:03 pm

I really don't want to remap my keyboard. :-)

Maybe there is one key that I could use. I was just wondering if it could be done :-)

Thanks so much

Return to posts index

Hope Holmesby
on Nov 28, 2010 at 7:33:51 pm

If anyone still reading this thread....

Use: Animation/Recent Animation presets:

One thing found very helpful, as was said, make own preset starting with the preset of FadeInandOut Frames that is in the 'preset' folder, and name it clearly, like 'FadeInOut30' or whatever.

Then each time its needed, go to animation/recent animation presets
and it will be in the list, easy to grab.

Use this technique for all the things always using.

Works much faster than going to the preset list.

Life is here to enjoy.

Dual 1.8 GHz PowerPC G5, 150 GB; Mac OS X (10.4.11) 4GB RAM; 2 La Cie external HDs 1TB each; STP v2.0.2; FCP 6; AE 8(CS3)

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Aug 10, 2010 at 9:20:01 pm

Answer to question 1:
Yes, you can assign all sorts of actions to keyboard shortcuts if you are willing to do a little scripting. See this section.

Answer to question 2:
Yes, you can change the behavior to do whatever you please. Behaviors are animation presets that use expressions. You can modify the expression to your liking and save your own custom animation preset.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 10, 2010 at 9:24:55 pm

Thanks for setting both of us straight, Todd.
I've been trying to learn Motion, and the arcane lingo used by the two is starting to blur.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]