FORUMS: list search recent posts

sound component error -2166

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Graves
sound component error -2166
on Aug 7, 2010 at 12:36:25 am

Hello ~

I'm trying to do some fairly simple scenes in AE 5.5 with audio lip syncing to animation layers. I have one very simple project right now with a single layer of art and a single layer of audio. When i first boot into it, it plays, but then moments later, I can't preview the composition. A bell rings and it says "After effects error: opening sound component (-2166)"

The sound component is an 8 second stereo wav file. I hardly moved any layer -- one moment it plays, the next moment, for no apparent reason, it locks up and gives me the sound error. By "locks up" I'm not saying the program crashes -- it just won't render.

What am I doing wrong? Would it help if I used another sound format?

thanks

John

"Life is good, as long as it doesn't take up too much of my time."

-anonymous gamer

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: sound component error -2166
on Aug 7, 2010 at 12:55:19 pm

[John Graves] "I'm trying to do some fairly simple scenes in AE 5.5 with audio lip syncing to animation layers. I have one very simple project right now with a single layer of art and a single layer of audio. When i first boot into it, it plays, but then moments later, I can't preview the composition. A bell rings and it says "After effects error: opening sound component (-2166)""

This was a known issues with After Effects v5.5 and Quicktime 7. The solution was to downgrade Quicktime, or upgrade After Effects. AE 5.5 is over 8 years old now, and I'd suspect you'll have some issues trying to run it on a recent computer with a recent operating system.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

John Graves
on Aug 7, 2010 at 2:28:20 pm

I have solved this problem by changing the sound file type. I went back to protools and generated the sound file as a Quicktime .mov file.....which seems logical since a .mov file IS a quicktime file. We removed the wav file and put in a mov sound file instead. The problem has totally cleared up and the waveform in the display even looks better.

Thanks for your support, Walter.

John

"Life is good, as long as it doesn't take up too much of my time."

-anonymous gamer

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 7, 2010 at 2:34:40 pm

Great -- and thank you for posting back with your solution.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]