FORUMS: list search recent posts

Frame rate for video sharing sites?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Balazs Frank
Frame rate for video sharing sites?
on Aug 2, 2010 at 3:09:41 pm

Hi,

as a newbie, I'd have a frame-rate related question.

I've created 1080p AE projects, where I set the frame rate to 30fps, instead of the 29.97 which seems to be the standard for the FullHD 1080p (for easier audio sync). These projects does not include any live footage, just AE elements and they should be uploaded to YouTube and other video sharing sites only.
So I export the final files to 1920x1080 progressive encoded with H.264 at 30 fps.

However I think the 1080p 30fps H.264 would not be a problem at YouTube and video sharing sites, is this "30fps" non-standard setting for fullHD may affect the playback quality? I mean here not playing videos by computers, but e.g media players or home cinema systems that can access and play the content of video sharing sites? Are these able to play non-interlaced (progressive) with 30 fps material without a problem?

Thanks a bunch!

best regards,
Balazs

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Frame rate for video sharing sites?
on Aug 2, 2010 at 4:09:50 pm

Each video sharing site has guidelines and specs for submitting videos. Find the pages with the information and make your videos accordingly.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 2, 2010 at 4:46:54 pm

[Balazs Frank] "However I think the 1080p 30fps H.264 would not be a problem at YouTube and video sharing sites, is this "30fps" non-standard setting for fullHD may affect the playback quality? I mean here not playing videos by computers, but e.g media players or home cinema systems that can access and play the content of video sharing sites? Are these able to play non-interlaced (progressive) with 30 fps material without a problem?"

YouTube specifically does not care what frame rate you use, so you'll find a variety of rates online. 23.976, 24, 25, 29.97, 30 and other arbitrary rates are all acceptable. They specifically recommend against re-sampling the frame rate. See Optimizing your video uploads from YouTube for more.

I suppose it depends on the system, but I would think that any media player that pulls content from YouTube would be built to be pretty lenient on acceptable playback specs. Is there a specific device you're targeting?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Balazs Frank
on Aug 2, 2010 at 7:38:54 pm

Thanks for the comment. I already know the YouTube specifications, there are not really restrictions, they follow the "best possible" approach, and any full HD encoded with H.264 seems to be fine.

My only possible problem is that the standard for full HD is 29.97, not 30, but sometimes it is easier to work with 30 fps.

No, I do no target a specific media device, I was just curious if someone has any experience playing YouTube videos not on computer, but on media devices.

So it seems that 30 fps would be fine then.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]