FORUMS: list search recent posts

After Effects WMV Rendering Error

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Victor Uzunow
After Effects WMV Rendering Error
on Jul 25, 2010 at 11:47:46 pm

I was trying to render footage of sniper ghost warrior gameplay on pc i recorded with FRAPS. It worked once with Cs4 after effects, then it started crashing everytime.

Then i tried with CS5, it worked the first time, now it always crashes. i dont know what is wrong, but i noticed my cpu gets above 90 degrees Celsius, i ordered a new cpu cooler and it will be here soon, but is that the problem?

im even running it at a lower speed then default because it just overheats.

intel core i5 750 2.67, currently running at 2.41 ghz still crashes

Please try to help me, thanks

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: After Effects WMV Rendering Error
on Jul 26, 2010 at 8:59:06 pm

If you're actually trying to render Windows Media file, I'd say you got lucky before, but your luck has run out. AE really stinks at doing that kind of rendering.

Dave's Stock Answer #3:

Don't use AE to compress files for final delivery. The various compressors are there only to make quick 'n dirty files showing a project's progress to producers, clients, the kids, etc. AE is incapable of doing multipass encoding, a crucial feature that greatly improves the image quality of H.264 and MPEG-type files in particular.

Render a high-quality file from AE, and use a different application to do the compression. Popular ones are Adobe Media Encoder, Sorenson Squeeze and Apple's Compressor, which comes bundled with Final Cut Suite. Even compressing in Quicktime Pro is better than compressing in AE.

Making good-looking compressed files is almost as much an art as it is a science. It is NOT straightforward at all. I recommend asking a few questions at the COW's Compression Techniques forum.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Victor Uzunow
on Jul 26, 2010 at 9:06:19 pm

So i need to render it in AE, then compress it?
Because AE crashes while rendering usually at the same time, and nothing special happens at that time.

Maybe i don't understand what you mean.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 26, 2010 at 9:37:05 pm

Render high-quality in AE, then use something else to make it WMV. Report back if you still have problems.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Victor Uzunow
on Jul 26, 2010 at 9:40:48 pm

So you mean like render it as an AVI or MOV, becuase i tried and it still crashes.

I also tried the same thing with premiere and it was around a 5-10 minute encoding time and premiere crashed, which leads me to believe it is not a program error.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 26, 2010 at 9:43:15 pm

If both Premiere and AE crash when you use a certain piece of footage, it sounds like the footage may have a problem.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Victor Uzunow
on Jul 26, 2010 at 9:54:55 pm

Well since im running the game on max settings the footage is split into 6 parts and each one is around 3.5 gb, maybe that is it?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 26, 2010 at 11:33:29 pm

File size shouldn't matter but if fraps records the footage in some off-the-wall codec, yeah, that'll matter... a lot. It could cause both AE and Premiere to crash.

Beats me why it used to work, but doesn't now.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Victor Uzunow
on Jul 26, 2010 at 11:37:32 pm

thanks for the information!

Im going to convert the avi FRAPS videos into WMVs and hopefully the quality will be acceptable and AE or Premiere will actually render it for once.

Thanks for all the help

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Don't do it!
on Jul 27, 2010 at 2:58:18 pm

[Victor Uzunow] "Im going to convert the avi FRAPS videos into WMVs "

Why don't you give yourself a shot at maintaining some image quality? Turn it 'em into lossless AVI's.

When you work in AE, you have to get used to big file sizes. No joking.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Victor Uzunow
Re: Don't do it!
on Jul 27, 2010 at 5:44:18 pm

I managed to get it to work, i converted the large AVI files to MOV files whichw ere around 775 mb each, maintaining the exact same quality of sound and video, then AE had no problem rendering the full 10 minutes.

Thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]