FORUMS: list search recent posts

Make a clips speed change gradually, and smoothly

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Mamary
Make a clips speed change gradually, and smoothly
on Jul 18, 2010 at 8:50:09 pm

Hi again, and thanks in advance for all your help. Already, here is my second question today.
(And thanks Andy G., for already answering my first...)

I am editing this project in FCP, and recently discovered, (here), how much better AE renders a change in a clips speed, (constant, albeit), using frame blending. FCP looks horrible in comparison.

I have this 20 sec., (slow to reg motion clip), in my completed FCP timeline, with a duration I'd like to preserve.

The first 15 seconds go from 50% SloMo, to 100% realtime speed, the last five secs., it continues at realtime 100%.

I'd very much like to replace it with a frame blended version I make in AE.

I would like the AE rendered clip, to begin and end on the same frames, as in my fcp timeline, if possible.
I would like the clip to smoothly go from slow motion 50% to 100% realtime speed, and then stay that way for the last 5 secs.

I am sure there is a relatively easy way to do this. Any help is surely appreciated.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Make a clips speed change gradually, and smoothly
on Jul 19, 2010 at 2:15:12 pm

Time Remapping. Lots of useful info at that link.
Also, here's a basic tutorial on Time Remapping.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 19, 2010 at 2:48:46 pm

[Richard Mamary] "I would like the clip to smoothly go from slow motion 50% to 100% realtime speed, and then stay that way for the last 5 secs... I am sure there is a relatively easy way to do this."

....and there is indeed a relativly easy way to do it. The rub as far as I'm aware: you need lots of money.

Smooth speed transitions are accomplished either with the use of an adjustable-speed playback deck or a high-end effects system. By "high-end", I mean that it costs $15,000 US just to rent the software for a year... you can't buy it. You find such devices at production and effects houses.

I would LOVE to be proven wrong about this, so anyone who can pull off smooth ramped speed transitions, chime in!

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Steve Roberts
on Jul 19, 2010 at 7:27:02 pm

Call me crazy (thank you), but this Time Remapping fan just tried Timewarp, and it wasn't bad. It works as you'd expect: 1st key at 50%, second key at 100%.

It was too easy.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 19, 2010 at 7:33:30 pm

[Steve Roberts] " It works as you'd expect: 1st key at 50%, second key at 100%."

REALLY. Well, whaddya know. I would have thought the footage would have gone soft.

I guess the key is to work with percentages that also can be expressed as fractions, and vice-versa. I'd have my doubts about 1/3 speed: 33.3333333333%. Ugh.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Richard Mamary
on Jul 20, 2010 at 5:57:06 am

"Time Remapping. Lots of useful info at that link.
Also, here's a basic tutorial on Time Remapping."

Thanks very much for the input Michael. Regardless, that I have seen both of those before.
I'll have to give that AE manual another shot. I just don't remember really getting it.
I am self taught, mind you, (and thats the opposite of a brag, believe me.)

That second tutorial was great, thank you.

"Smooth speed transitions are accomplished either with the use of an adjustable-speed playback deck or a high-end effects system. "
"I would LOVE to be proven wrong about this, so anyone who can pull off smooth ramped speed transitions, chime in!"

Clearly, I am looking for the poor mans version to be sure..., and Steve seems to be on to something...

"Call me crazy (thank you), but this Time Remapping fan just tried Timewarp, and it wasn't bad. It works as you'd expect: 1st key at 50%, second key at 100%."

Nice one Steve! Thats a rally find. And it was sitting right there under my nose...
That looks pretty smooth, (in ram preview albeit), and even with frame blending off.
This appears at first glance to be what I am looking for. Easy looking enough to get started messing around with all those settings.

First thing I have to figure out how to get it to play out the whole clip, and not shorten it after setting the keyframes. The defauolt seems to be to keep the clip the same length. I am sure there is a setting here somewhere... I don't have time to mess around with it this morning, (2am), but am looking forward to seeing whether an output looks as good.

Hopefully I can find a good tutorial on this too. Or if not, maybe make sense out of the AE manual.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]