FORUMS: list search recent posts

artefacts appear on edges and in bright areas of footage

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Hogg
artefacts appear on edges and in bright areas of footage
on Jul 9, 2010 at 3:44:58 pm

Hi there all

i could really use some help and advice. i am trying to key some footage in after effects and whatever i try i get these artefacts that appear and roll over the footage in bright areas or on edges. I believe it might have something to do with the footage originally being interlaced and then me trying to de interlace it.

i received the footage as mp4 which was interlaced, i proceeded to converted it to apple pro res 422 (hq) using Sorenson squeeze (applying a deinterlace filter) so i could edit in final cut. once edited i then exported from final cut as an apple pro res 422 (hq). now in aftereffects i'm stuck with this annoying artefacting.

is it the codecs or the fact that i deinterlaced the footage that is causing this?

can anyone help me?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: artefacts appear on edges and in bright areas of footage
on Jul 9, 2010 at 4:02:20 pm

If I need to mix interlaced and progressive footage, deinterlacing is almost always the LAST thing I do in my workflow. The reason: most deinterlacing applications suck. Really stink on ice. And their shortcomings are magnified if you alter the footage in successive workflow steps.

If I have to deinterlace early in the workflow, the only ones I'd REALLY trust are found in pricey frame rate conversion software, where a new frame is constructed from the two fields, and the construction is determined by one of many algorithms that account for the type of motion found in the shot.

So, yeah: lose the deinterlacing, and life will get better. Deinterlace later. Or just work in flippin' progressive-scan.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Robert Hogg
Re: artefacts appear on edges and in bright areas of footage
on Jul 13, 2010 at 10:17:42 am

Cheers Dave,

Will just work with the interlaced footage. Read another one of your threads about separating the fields in after effects before doing any keying as well which is a major help, so thanks for that as well.

All the best,

Rob

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]