FORUMS: list search recent posts

Comp Upgrades for AE CS5

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aymeric De Meautis
Comp Upgrades for AE CS5
on Jul 5, 2010 at 8:30:09 am

Hey! I've got some cash and looking at upgrading my system. I mainly use Premiere Pro and After Effects for doing freelance VFX and video editing, but my system's been recently struggling (i7 950, 12GB corsair dominator) gigabyte ex-58, quadro fx 1700). My works getting more complex and my turn overs are getting longer.

I've done some research and was going along the lines of either the i7 980x or getting dual xeon 5620's (any better suggestions?). Also looking at getting a new graphic card, preferbally the nvidia quadro CX (any other suggestions?). I've got around 6k to work with (I'm in Australia so that might translate as more/less currency than other countries charge for parts).

But I'm not totally sure what I need. I use alot of 3D applications in AE (trapcode, Zaxwerks) and edit a lot of HD video. Looking at faster rendering times, and able to work in AE in real time (takes ages for RAM previews and always working on a quarter reso). I need Creative Cow help on any suggestions on what I should be looking into for upgrades to make my life a little easier. Cheers =)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Comp Upgrades for AE CS5
on Jul 5, 2010 at 3:46:56 pm

Aymeric De Meautis: "...I use alot of 3D applications in AE (trapcode, Zaxwerks..."

You'll need to find out if these plugins have been upgraded for AE 10, which, as you know is exclusively 64-bit.

Aymeric De Meautis: "...and able to work in AE in real time (takes ages for RAM previews and always working on a quarter reso). ..."

Real time? If that's your expectation, you may have to wait for After Effects Version 15, perhaps.

There is NOTHING real time about the newest version of AE, although going 64-bit does improve render times, and just about eliminates those nasty "can't create x-by-y image" error messages.

But you WILL need an astounding amount of RAM. Think 24-32 GB for starters.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Aymeric De Meautis
Re: Comp Upgrades for AE CS5
on Jul 10, 2010 at 9:09:45 am

Thanks Dave, I'm looking into getting an HP workstation and building a small render farm to begin with. Real time is a dream....drives me a lil' crazy waiting for render times

cheers =)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]