FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adobe AE Nightmare

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pat Ford
Adobe AE Nightmare
on Jun 28, 2010 at 1:24:02 am

I am at the end of my rope with Adobe products and Adobe's scripted and outsourced "technical support." I have spent days in the last couple of months trying to get Adobe software to run. I waiting 1.5 hours on a phone to have a guy in India tell me that I would have to go up a grade in paid support to get the answer to my question!!!!

Ridiculous.

The problem now is my home computer...I had to have the C disc wiped because I picked up a malware...while trying to download a DVD writing utility to do what my computer at work would not do: write to DVD with Encore.

The problem now is that when I try start CS3 AE an error message comes up saying that AE cannot load AERes1.dll I have searched for a solution and the only one I can find is, that's right, wipe your C drive and reinstall.

Some details:
Running XP with latest updates Two gigs ram. Have the entire CS3 suite. GEForce 7800GT graphics card. Also have Dreamweaver CS3 and Fireworks CS4.

When I try to reinstall AE, the computer asks me to reinstall Fireworks CS4 which has not been uninstalled. I put the disc in and it tells me to put the CS3 installation disc. I installed Quicktime before I noticed the problem. I uninstalled Quicktime and attempted to install AE. No luck.

I have an important video to be done in less than two weeks. Can anyone help...Adobe does not seem to care.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: Adobe AE Nightmare
on Jun 28, 2010 at 1:41:51 am

you may have other drives that are infected, including removable drives, and your windows update patches may be infected if you slip streamed anything, etc.

http://technicolorsoftware.hostzi.com/

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jun 28, 2010 at 2:17:17 am

> Adobe does not seem to care.

That's a pretty broad statement.

I'm Adobe, and I care.

Problems can occur when you install and activate an earlier version (like CS3) after a later version (like CS4). You say that you "wiped" your C drive, but there may still be some lingering traces of the previous activations on your disk.

In order to really start from a clean state, you need to run the "clean scripts".

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cs3clean.html

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cs4clean.html

Try uninstalling your Adobe software, running these utilities, and then reinstalling. Re-install the CS3 software before reinstalling the CS4 software.

Normally, I wouldn't jump straight to recommending uninstalling and reinstalling, but it seems that you're in the process of rebuilding this system after a "wipe" anyway.

Good luck. Let us know if you need any more help.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Pat Ford
on Jun 28, 2010 at 3:45:00 am

I appreciate the response.

You have to understand that my experience with Adobe has been less than pleasing...I have installed and deinstalled portions of CS3 at least a half a dozen times on this machine and at work. The outsourced support experience was miserable. I am a well traveled person...am used to accents, yet these guys were barely understandable.

I am not exaggerating that I have spent days...more likely weeks trying to get Adobe software to run in the past two months. I appreciate your help...but hope you can understand my situation. I have a very, very important video which needs to be done in less than two weeks...and here I am, trying to get software to work.

I am currently deinstalling CS3. I will follow that with the wipe utility that you suggest....This will burn up a few hours of time.

By the way, if anyone knows a place in Seattle that is good with troubleshooting Adobe software, please let me know.

Return to posts index

Pat Ford
on Jun 28, 2010 at 6:30:52 am

It's now 11:30pm. I started suggested above around 5. With time out to make dinner I:
1. Uninstalled Quicktime.
2. Turned off Panda Antivirus
3. Uninstalled CS3 Production; CS3 Dreamweaver; CS4 Fireworks
4. Ran Adobe Clean Up utility both CS3 and CS4 versions
5. Machine reported that it needed MS Clean Up Utility to complete clean up operation.
6. MS site says that their utility is no longer available to use with 3rd parties.
7. Reinstalled CS3 Production.
8. Started AE. Did a test animation.

Don't know what solved the problem: AERes1.dll not loading. But it is working now; I wanted to document this for others.

Thanks to those that took the time to write.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jun 28, 2010 at 12:36:36 pm

I'm glad that it worked, and I'm sorry that it was such a hassle.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]