FORUMS: list search recent posts

AE CS5 renders incredibly slow and doesnt recognize multiprocessor

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sebastian Schneider
AE CS5 renders incredibly slow and doesnt recognize multiprocessor
on Jun 23, 2010 at 11:35:55 am

hey guys,
i tried everything from the different workarounds floating around the web about multiprocessor usage and RAM in AE CS5. I just updated it and CS4 was WAY faster with the exact same project - and i could use the multiprocessor feature. I have a core2quad with 8GB of RAM but within AE CS5 it says "Insufficient RAM. Multiprocessing is off". Within the options menu it says "actual cpus that will be used: 0" - with every possible RAM combination. The render takes about 6 hours, in CS4 it was done in 1,5h. That is strange and im starting to lose the fun of working with CS5 when its even slower on the same configuration then CS4... I hope you can help me! Thanks for your effort and for this great community! Found lots of great stuff in here,
best regards,
sebastian

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
Re: AE CS5 renders incredibly slow and doesnt recognize multiprocessor
on Jun 23, 2010 at 6:09:56 pm

Could you provide more details about your computer? What OS are you running?

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jun 23, 2010 at 6:32:01 pm

You said "every posible RAM combination". Could you actually tell us what settings you're trying?

Without knowing what kind of footage and compositions you're working with, I can't give good recommendations, so I'll just give an example assuming that you're working with 720p footage and compositions of matching size.

A good starting point for RAM Allocation Per Background CPU is 1.5GB. You should be leaving 2GB for other applications. So, with 6GB left for After Effects, and the foreground application taking 1.2x1.5GB=1.8GB, you have 4.2GB left for background rendering processes. So, After Effects should say that 2 CPUs will be used for rendering.

If, however, you set the RAM amount per processor to 2GB, then you'd have 3.6GB for background processes, which means that you'd only have enough RAM left for 1 background process. After Effects won't start up a single background process for background rendering, since at that point the foreground process might as well deal with it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Sebastian Schneider
on Jun 24, 2010 at 2:29:43 pm

Sorry for forgetting to tell about my system and the project im working on...
My system:

CPU:Intel core2quad Q9550 @ 2,83Mhz
BOARD: Asus P5Q Pro
RAM: 8GB DDR2

Within the project is 720p footage, some precomped in bigger compositions.

I dont need RAM for other Applications during rendering, so i can use all of it for After Effects. What puzzles me is that in CS4 i could use the multicore feature with 2-3 cores without problems and it was working really fast, the preview was fast, the RAM preview was fast... but now with the new AE CS5 the same project is extremely slow and i cant use the multicore feature...
Hope the further informations provided could give you a hint where i did the mistake?
thanks again for your effort!

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jun 24, 2010 at 5:31:37 pm

Did you follow the guidance that I gave in this paragraph in my message?
"A good starting point for RAM Allocation Per Background CPU is 1.5GB. You should be leaving 2GB for other applications. So, with 6GB left for After Effects, and the foreground application taking 1.2x1.5GB=1.8GB, you have 4.2GB left for background rendering processes. So, After Effects should say that 2 CPUs will be used for rendering."

If so, then do you not see the outcome that I described?

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Naveen Mallikarjuna
on Jun 23, 2010 at 6:32:31 pm

Are you using a 64-bit OS?

Naveen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]