FORUMS: list search recent posts

50i footage to 25p with ramped slow-motion

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anton Lisner
50i footage to 25p with ramped slow-motion
on Jun 15, 2010 at 9:19:54 am

I have som 50i footage in which i would like some ramped slow-motion. (time-remapping) But when i slow it down just a little in after effects it gets laggy.
I've heard about seperating the fields, but it doesnt seem to work when using time-remapping.

Any solution of making slow-mo of 50i footage?

PS: Sorry my bad english.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: 50i footage to 25p with ramped slow-motion
on Jun 15, 2010 at 1:53:08 pm

Have you enabled frame blending for both the layer and the comp it's in?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 15, 2010 at 2:51:30 pm

Don't worry about your English. I know of many native English-speakers on this forum who are either unwilling or unable to compose a single cohesive sentence.

[Anton Lisner] "But when i slow it down just a little in after effects it gets laggy. "

That's going to happen. The BEST way to get slo-mo is to shoot at a higher frame rate than the footage surrounding the shot, then playing the shot at the intended frame rate. 50i is the same frame rate as 25p -- they're both 25 frames/sec. Thus, you will notice a difference in motion... which is precisely what happened to you.

It's very difficult to do what you seek without the use of a third-party plugin. Think about getting ReelVision's Twixtor or Magic Bullet. They're designed to create new intermediate frames so the motion stays smoother.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Anton Lisner
on Jun 16, 2010 at 10:58:49 am

Yes. Frameblending is enabled. It makes it a little better, but still laggy. The weird thing is im slowing it down to like 40% at slowest. And i can find loads of clips on youtube filmed with same camera:

Maybe its the shutter speed, i used around 1/500 but maybe its too fast?

Return to posts index

Gasper Vovk
on Jun 17, 2010 at 5:54:22 pm

Hey there,

you can get instant 50% slow motion by deinterlacing the 50i footage.

Just interpreted as interlaced footage (depends on the source, but usually Upper Field first for PAL). Slow down to 50%. No frame blending and such.

But this will give you slightly aliased (jaggy) lines which can look horrible if you have plenty of horizontal lines in the shot.

Using a dedicated de-interlacing solution such as Re:Vision Fx Fields kit will help a lot.

Slow ramping might look jittery/laggy too.

For true optical flow time remapping you can use the Timewarp effect, (under Time) which is actually licenced Kronos plugin from The Foundry, but it comes with After Effects ... it does the same as Twixtor, but I don't think it's as good.

It's also very similar to what AE does when using high-quality frame blending, but with way more control.

You could still get artifacts, especially when slowing down non rounded numbers and slight slows (such as your 40%), i.e. not 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 speed etc.

Also you'll have trouble slowing down things where image changes a lot from frame to frame and where motion overlaps. Strange things can happen on the image borders, too.

If you have more questions let me know.

Cheers
G

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]