FORUMS: list search recent posts

Fractal Noise VHS Tracking

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Schuran
Fractal Noise VHS Tracking
on Jun 9, 2010 at 2:52:15 pm

Hey everyone, I have searched high and low on info about how to achieve the look that a VHS tends to give with regards to tracking. Everywhere I have looked and people I have e-mailed just simply said that they used Fractal Noise.

I messed around with it for a couple of hours, and I still can't get those lines that are on a VHS. Anyone here know a more approximate setting so I can get remotely close to that look? I always end up with t.v. static, here's what I made today just messing around with it trying to get the lines:

Whereas I am going to for something like this video:

He gives a breakdown in the info, but just mentions Fractal Noise and nothing more about getting actual lines. When I read it I initially thought it would be a piece of cake, but I am sort of stuck at this point.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Fractal Noise VHS Tracking
on Jun 9, 2010 at 3:27:56 pm

If you're talking about the switching noise that distorts the lower portions of a VHS picture, nose around in AE's Distort effects category and pick one that'll do the trick. Hold keyframes are your friends.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Eric Schuran
on Jun 9, 2010 at 3:31:47 pm

Thanks for the reply :)

The guy in the last vid mentioned he used fractal noise, along with a bunch of other people who did the similar effect. I guess I could try distortion but I just don't want to head off in a totally different direction when I'm so close.

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Jun 9, 2010 at 3:34:39 pm

Create a White Solid that's 40 x 120 pixels. Apply Fractal Noise. Leave everything at the default setting for now. Scale up the Solid until the width reaches the edges.

Within Fractal Noise, there is a Transform property, deselect the Uniform Scale checkbox. increase width dramatically. Increase Contrast and reduce Brightness until you see horizontal lines. Set Blending Mode to Screen.

Adjust Transform>Scale and/or Fractal Noise Scale Width.

HTH
Roland Kahlenberg

Sell your AEPs with broadcastGEMs' DVD series of templates. Click here for more

Return to posts index

Eric Schuran
on Jun 9, 2010 at 8:05:50 pm

I tried that method, and when I selected the blending mode and then screen, the whole thing went white:

Return to posts index

Eric Schuran
on Jun 10, 2010 at 1:10:23 am

Well, I managed to figure it out ... although changing the blending mode to screen seems to make my solid layer pure white ... not sure why that is, so I just kept it on "normal." Here's what I got from messing around:

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Jun 11, 2010 at 1:36:24 am

Your comp looked white after apply a blending mode cos' you didn't have another layer below.

What you now have looks decent but it can be improved. Try increasing the Width Scale within FN's Transform property. Add Fast Blue to soften the edges of the lines.

HTH
Roland Kahlenberg

Return to posts index

Eric Schuran
on Jun 11, 2010 at 6:35:01 am

Roland:

I tried that ... same result. I just had a white bar when I did what you said.

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Jun 11, 2010 at 10:02:57 am

Lower your contrast to about 160-200 - it's way too high and that's why you're getting the full-on white.

And FNoise>Transform>Scale Width should be twice as long or until your lines stretch across the width of the entire comp.

Look at using Levels to increase the luminance of the Fnoise layer rather than the Contrast found in FNoise.

HTH
Roland Kahelenberg

Return to posts index

Eric Schuran
on Jun 11, 2010 at 6:07:08 pm

No matter what I try ... I get that result. There's must be some kind of breakdown in communication here, because I followed the instructions explicitly.

As you can see from the photo, the width is as big as it gets ... it can't get much larger than that when it's maxed right out. Furthermore, the bar turns white only after I change the blending mode to "screen." If I leave the settings to either "None" or "Normal" it looks just fine. Not sure what the "screen" blending mode is supposed to do, but clearly it doesn't work from what I posted above. Unless you have an actual screenshot or example, I can't really do anything with those instructions because I end up in the same place everytime, no matter how many times I mess around with the luminance, etc.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 11, 2010 at 7:08:13 pm

Well, if you're striking out on Fractal Noise, why don't you simply try fooling around with other effects in AE's Noise & Grain category until you find one that you like? There's more than one way to skin this cat, y'know.

It's not like you're going to break AE or anything....

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Eric Schuran
on Jun 11, 2010 at 10:06:34 pm

In my opinion, I think the video of what I got seemed to be pretty close. I just wanted to see what everyone thought of it. I don't think it was a case of striking out ... I think it was a success unless it doesn't look convincing to anyone here. I will add the fast blur to it later and see how it looks, although this looks really nice thus far.

What I was mainly talking about was the blending mode to screen ... it seemed to turn the otherwise good-looking static into a block of white. I just didn't see the point in doing the "screen" part when it looked fine in the first place.

Return to posts index

eric brown
on Sep 25, 2010 at 6:19:51 am

hey ive been trying to find this out too for a while, and seeing this has helped me alot. i actually started having the same exact problem too! i think i got around it tho by instead of using screen, i duplicated it and used a luma matte. that way the white parts are nice and solid. i am having trouble in that my noise is making the lines super thick and not going up and down, they are just dissapearing and reapearing

Return to posts index

David Sikes
on Oct 19, 2011 at 6:36:32 pm

Thanks to everyone for this thread — it just helped me out tremendously.

I think I figured out the breakdown of communication. The screen transfer mode is to be set on the layer, not within the fractal noise options. That worked for me, at least.

- David Sikes

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]