FORUMS: list search recent posts

24p export to NTSC DVD

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
clyde villegas
24p export to NTSC DVD
on Jun 6, 2010 at 12:42:13 am

I have 24p footages in my composition (with pull down automatically removed by Premiere, so it's real 24 frames per second). If I want to send it to Encore for an NTSC DVD, what frame rate should I choose in the settings: 23.976 or 29.97? I'll render them out as MPEG2-DVD so that Encore doesn't need to transcode them.

ut in omnibus glorificetur Deus

Return to posts index

clyde villegas
Re: 24p export to NTSC DVD
on Jun 6, 2010 at 7:35:59 am

So if I now have mpeg2-dvd format video files in Encore (exported from AE at 23.976), will Encore create the DVD (NTSC) in the proper 29.97 standard frame rate?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 7, 2010 at 2:37:10 pm

Ever rent a movie to watch at home? They're 24p DVDs. The DVD player adds the pulldown for you. Very handy.

But DON'T make the mpeg2's in AE!

Dave's Stock Answer #3:

Don't use AE to compress files for final delivery. The various compressors are there only to make quick 'n dirty files showing a project's progress to producers, clients, the kids, etc. AE is incapable of doing multipass encoding, a crucial feature that greatly improves the image quality of H.264 and MPEG-type files in particular.

Render a high-quality file from AE, and use a different application to do the compression. Popular ones are Adobe Media Encoder, Sorenson Squeeze and Apple's Compressor, which comes bundled with Final Cut Suite. Even compressing in Quicktime Pro is better than compressing in AE.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

clyde villegas
on Jun 8, 2010 at 8:17:30 am

I see. If all those DVDs are 24p, then there's no need to convert them to 29.97. I'll just work all the way from Premiere to Encore to the finished DVD in 24p.

The reason why I made mpeg2s in AE is because I saw a tutorial by Andrew Kramer where he used AE to make mpeg2 for use in Encore.

Thank you very much Dave, and God bless!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]