FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio issues in Adobe After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alissa Lorentz
Audio issues in Adobe After Effects
on Jun 2, 2010 at 3:42:24 pm

I am having issues when I render my audio and video together in After Effects (I'm using a PC running Windows XP Professional and using AE version CS4 9.0.0.346). When I preview the audio in AE, it sounds perfectly fine. Once rendered, it sounds weird... I don't know how to explain it other than it sounds like I'm talking into a tin can.

I recorded the audio directly from a head set into Adobe Soundbooth. I never messed with the audio in Soundbooth; just saved it. I have tried importing the .asnd file directly into AE and render. That didn't work. I exported the audio to a WAV, imported and rendered in AE. That didnt work. I exported the audio to a MP3, imported and rendered in AE. By the way, I am rendering the video to a .WMV file.

I have also reduced the bit size from 32 to 16 and to 8. That didn't work either.

The .asnd file properties: sample rate is 48000 Hz. The duration is 5min 23sec. The file size is 118 MB.

Does anyone think they can help? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Audio issues in Adobe After Effects
on Jun 2, 2010 at 4:11:37 pm

You have a few things goin' on that are frustrating you.

[Alissa Lorentz] "I'm using a PC running Windows XP Professional and using AE version CS4 9.0.0.346..."

You'll want to download the free upgrade to AE 9.0.2. It fixes a lot of weirdness of the previous versions.

[Alissa Lorentz] "I never messed with the audio in Soundbooth; just saved it. I have tried importing the .asnd file directly into AE and render. That didn't work. I exported the audio to a WAV, imported and rendered in AE. That didnt work. I exported the audio to a MP3, imported and rendered in AE...."

Change it back to a wav file. No form of compressed audio plays nice in AE. Do it now.

[Alissa Lorentz] "...By the way, I am rendering the video to a .WMV file...."

Two things here:

The first -- if you're exporting, DONT! Use AE's Render Queue. When the comp's in the Render Queue, click on the Output Module settings, and simply turn on the audio. You don't get it unless you do.

The second -- you're trying to render to Windows Media. Bad Idea. Here's why:

Dave's Stock Answer #3:

Don't use AE to compress files for final delivery. The various compressors are there only to make quick 'n dirty files showing a project's progress to producers, clients, the kids, etc. AE is incapable of doing multipass encoding, a crucial feature that greatly improves the image quality of H.264 and MPEG-type files in particular.

Render a high-quality file from AE, and use a different application to do the compression. Popular ones are Adobe Media Encoder, Sorenson Squeeze and Apple's Compressor, which comes bundled with Final Cut Suite. Even compressing in Quicktime Pro is better than compressing in AE.

Making good-looking compressed files is almost as much an art as it is a science. It is NOT straightforward at all. I recommend asking a few questions at the COW's Compression Techniques forum.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Alissa Lorentz
on Jun 3, 2010 at 7:46:16 pm

Thanks for your response.

I put the WAV audio back into the video and rendered it in adobe after effects as an uncompressed avi.

I am now having new issues. I have the audio working and sounding right, but the video doesn't show up. Any idea on what the issue could be now?

The file is 13.3 GB.... but it's only audio.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 3, 2010 at 8:22:55 pm

Here's the only thing I can think of: you accidentally turned off the video when you turned on the audio in the output module.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Alissa Lorentz
on Jun 3, 2010 at 8:30:47 pm

Unfortunately, I checked that already. I have no clue what is going on. It is quite frustrating... and my employer is getting quite frustrated with me!

I have tried exporting it into an avi and wmv and I get the same results...

Is there anything else it could be?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 3, 2010 at 8:40:58 pm

This is such a weird thing that I don't have a CLUE what's going on.
You downloaded AE 9.0.2 like I said, right?
You aren't trying to use Open GL or multiprocessing to speed up rendering, right?
You're making an uncompressed AVI, right?
You're not using any video that's toxic to AE like HDV, right?

That means it's either an oversight on your part that we can't possibly find, or you're going to have to list every blessed detail about your computer, your software and your project so someone else can have a try at it. I'd start another thread asking for help.

Don't you just love it when bosses say, "Here's some new software. It shouldn't be too hard to figure out. You don't need any training."

That's the time when the term Dope Slap comes to mind.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Alissa Lorentz
on Jun 3, 2010 at 8:57:39 pm

Dave - thanks so much for your responses. I am only a moderate to Adobe After Effects but I have gotten great results from using it so far. This is the first time I have added audio to a movie when using it.

You downloaded AE 9.0.2 like I said, right?
Yes, actually I am at ver. 9.0.0.346

You aren't trying to use Open GL or multiprocessing to speed up rendering, right?
No

You're making an uncompressed AVI, right?
Yes

You're not using any video that's toxic to AE like HDV, right?
Say what now? My composition settings are 1280 x 720, HDV 1080/DVCPRO HD 720 (which exported the video so clearly before). Can you explain why this is toxic and what perhaps I should use instead? The videos that I make are for specific TVs that our company purchased to take to trade shows. The TV is a 32" 1080 HDTV..

I have exported with the settings I said before and have gotten good results... maybe I have just been lucky?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 3, 2010 at 9:12:23 pm

Whoops. AE 9.0.0.346 is actually an earlier version than AE 9.0.2 -- check the decimal points. Go get that download. Now that AE 10 is out, it may be tough to find on the Adobe Web site.

If you have any video clips in your AE comps that were shot on an HDV camera, they almost always give AE fits. If you don't have any of them in your comps, you're okay.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]