FORUMS: list search recent posts

CS5 render issues - win7

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Keith Corcoran
CS5 render issues - win7
on May 27, 2010 at 2:37:05 am

Someone please help.. I'm stumped.

On a 32 bit dual core dell laptop with CS3 i could manage to render some pretty intense projects with acceptable render times.

I'm at a COMPLETE and frustrating loss as to why it would take over 6 minutes to render an uncompressed avi file with a length of no more than 40 seconds.

No effects, nothing, just a straight render from the media library of an uncompressed 15 fps 500x400 avi to a 320x240 15 fps uncompressed avi.

I had this issue yesterday with a VERY simple comp containing only 500x400 video source files in a 320x240 comp where the source files simply crossfaded from one clip to the other with a text overlay...

I finally stopped the render after 30+ minutes.

It's a fresh install of CS5 professional on a freshly installed windows 7 PC laptop with a core 2 duo p8700 2.5 ghz with 4 gig of ram.

I just don't understand it, what am I missing here? These things should be rending as fast or faster than the actual length of the video. This problem has all but halted production for me the past 2 days.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: CS5 render issues - win7
on May 27, 2010 at 1:48:04 pm

What are the settings in your Memory & Multiprocessing preferences?

There's a whole page of performance improvement tips here: "Improve performance"

For tips on optimum memory and processor settings, see these two posts on my blog:

"Performance tip: Don't overschedule your processors."
http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/03/performance-tip-dont-oversched.h...

"Performance tip: Don't starve your software of RAM."
http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2009/12/performance-tip-dont-starve-yo.h...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 27, 2010 at 2:27:01 pm

[Keith Corcoran] "It's a fresh install of CS5 professional on a freshly installed windows 7 PC laptop with a core 2 duo p8700 2.5 ghz with 4 gig of ram. "

In addition to what Todd says, you should also know that for AE 10, 4 gigs is virtually nothing. Get more RAM, and get it soon.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Keith Corcoran
on May 27, 2010 at 3:52:23 pm

I'm trying to explain that to the IT guys about the RAM but they really feel 4gigs is a lot.

I'm in the process of speccing a machine based on another post on here. i7 extreme, 1mb dedicated gpu and 8gb ram.

i have to run on a PC laptop and I need to run it on a dell so the price is way up there. it's taking a little more supporting documentation to get it through so i've been searching for recommended hardware.

it doesn't help when adobe page says '2mb min (4 or more recommended). so IT stance may be 'we're already giving you the recommended ram'. uggg.

When you think I usually have at LEAST photoshop and AE open at the same time the 4 gigs is gone fast.

As for multiprocessor I tried it a couple of ways, on and off but i'll check out those recommended settings.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on May 27, 2010 at 4:03:49 pm

The Adobe pages say that 2GB is the recommended amount to dedicate _per processor core_ to After Effects. If you're leaving 2-3GB for other software (like the OS and Photoshop), and you've got a quad-core computer with hyperthreading (which means 8 total cores, counting the virtual ones), then you're up to nearly 20GB being the recommended amount.

(BTW, the setup that I describe above is my home personal computer, and I have 24GB installed.)
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 27, 2010 at 4:14:43 pm

Holy Cow, you actually work with Mordak, the Preventer of Information Technology from Dilbert!

Tell those buffoons to get their thumbs out of a Place Where They Shouldn't Be and get you more RAM. But they should wash their hands first.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Keith Corcoran
on May 27, 2010 at 5:13:11 pm

todd.. perfect info which was passed along verbatim to the person ordering the new machine.

i will say that our IT guys support about 400+ people of which about 50-75 are creatives. So I kind of understand when they get request for more RAM and a faster computer because the average person is mad because youtube doesn't load fast enough.

as long as i can make a business case based in fact I'll get what I need. It just seems to get similar performance from CS5 that you got from CS3 you really need to beef up your equipment.

thanks again!

Return to posts index

Doug Fraser
on Jun 4, 2010 at 4:57:34 pm

Not sure I can help with the business case for more RAM per se, but. I helped a neighbour's do a video project. It was my first use of Premiere Pro CS5 (Vista Home Premium 64bit, i7 processor OC'd to 3.2, 12GB Corsair RAM, GTX280 vid card, scratch disk 2 X 500 RAID 0). The vid was 12 minutes and the only motion was a Digital Juice background in SD. The whole vid was 720 X 480. Bottom line: 12 minutes of SD video took 33 hours, that is 33 HOURS to render using the Media Encoder to MPEG-2 file.

Under the Preferences, it said maximum available memory was 2GB. I have no idea if that was total or per core.

She Aced the presentation by the way.

Doug

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]