FORUMS: list search recent posts

Car Commercial with progressively "live" stills

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jack Marck
Car Commercial with progressively "live" stills
on May 18, 2010 at 7:31:23 pm

Does anybody know the commercial where there's still shot of a kid in a car and slowly the hair starts to move and eventually the whole still is live action? I can't think of the car to save my life right now but I really liked the effect and would like to try something similar. Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Car Commercial with progressively "live" stills
on May 18, 2010 at 8:29:26 pm

If you're talking about what I think you're talking about, it's not a car commercial, it's a commercial for a camera.

Anyway, I know the effect you're after. In order to get this you need a camera that shoots at a very high frame rate - probably 1000 fps or more. Then you play with your time remapping to ramp up the speed at which it plays back.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Jack Marck
on May 18, 2010 at 9:03:27 pm

Right but only portions of the picture "animate". In the one I'm thinking of, the entire picture is just a still except the ends of the model's hair which slowly start moving before the rest of the image starts moving. I don't doubt what you said but I'm wondering how the effect itself is composited.

Also, when I say "animate" I mean it starts moving, not that it is computer-generated or illustrated.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Allen
on May 18, 2010 at 9:23:14 pm

I think it takes clever duplication and masking the footage that you want to animate. Use time remapping to slowly bring the stills to "life".
By duplicating and masking certain parts of the footage, you can start animating different elements of the scene at different times.

Hope this helps..

---------------------------------------------
8core MacPro, 3.0 GHZ, 10GB RAM, OSX 10.5.6

C4D 11.5
AE CS3
FCP 6.0.1

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on May 18, 2010 at 9:43:01 pm

I see what you're asking. You use the same technique I mentioned, but use several different pieces and composite them together.

In the shot to which you originally refered, we see a still image, the girl starts moving and then the background through the car window moves. That's at least two pieces, girl in car, background out window. (I suspect the window may have been faked, but I don't remember it that well.)

The sports shots were several more pieces to each composite.

Since we're talking hair I think filming the different portions on a chromakey stage would probably be ideal.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]