FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best delivery codec for an image sequence 1080p

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Filippo Guerra
Best delivery codec for an image sequence 1080p
on May 7, 2010 at 1:07:24 pm

I've edited an image sequence (16 bit TIFF) in AE, now i've got to output it.
The problem is that the image has a grey gradient as background (the sequence is a 36 picture from a canon 1DS mkIII downsized to 1080p).

With apple ProRes4444 there's no banding at all, with 422 a little bit but good enough. But these aren't delivery codecs...

Is there a codec that can handle a 16bit image without banding?
h264 is crap...

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Best delivery codec for an image sequence 1080p
on May 7, 2010 at 2:45:34 pm

[Filippo Guerra] "With apple ProRes4444 there's no banding at all, with 422 a little bit but good enough. But these aren't delivery codecs... "

How will your rendered AE footage be used NEXT? Answering that question will determine a lot about the codec in which you render.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on May 7, 2010 at 4:47:12 pm

If you're exporting for further post processing, 32 bit tga should hold all the info you need. If you're going to export the final piece, do a lossless export and then use some compression software to do the final compression (Adobe Media Encoder or the like). This will give you the compression and quality you need- AE is not really meant for final compression.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania
http://www.ennstudio.ro

Return to posts index

Filippo Guerra
on May 7, 2010 at 8:53:29 pm

well, i'll use the video on the macbook to present the job to the client or send it via email/load on ftp server.
So i'm looking to create a 1080/720 version (but not to heavy like ProRes4444) and a 720x404 or 640x360 smaller video.

I've made some tries with media encoder, i've seen that there are two h264 formats... one is H264, the other is MOV with h264 codec... which one should I use?? it seems that MOV looks better...

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 8, 2010 at 12:27:12 am

Did your client forget to give you delivery specifications, perhaps? If you don't know what the client needs, how do expect to deliver the proper kind of file? That's what specs are for....

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Filippo Guerra
on May 10, 2010 at 1:10:49 pm

well, I don't have to deliver the videos to specifically to someone right now, i'm creating a portfolio for the photography studio i'm working in.
We need to output all the videos (still photo sequences) to show them to the client.

So I need a 1080/720 version to show with the laptop, and a low res version to send via email.

The fact is that Prores 4444 can handle the gradient without banding, but it's a very large file and only quicktime opens it (at least, on the macbook laptop).

Is there a HD format that supports 16bit RAW images without banding, with a good compression and easy to share with other applications without installing prores codecs?

And for the low res version, what do you suggest? h264? Just that or MOV with h264?

Yes, i've got a lot of question (and maybe are basic topics for you) and i'm sorry, but we are entering the video world right now, we are photographers! :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]