FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using Titles From AE in FCP as a Clean Overlay

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brett Putman
Using Titles From AE in FCP as a Clean Overlay
on May 6, 2010 at 6:08:16 pm

I have made some simple name titles for a for a corporate video in After Effects.
I then exported them via the Render Queue as using the "best" settings to maintain the highest possible quality.
When I drop these titles into Final Cut Pro the background is black (not transparent as I would like), so I have to mess with the composite modes in FCP to get the titles to appear over my footage, but when I do that, the end result is not accurate to the original compiste from After Effects and the colors shift and things just get generally out of whack.
The fact that we have to use different composite modes in FCP works for the time being for me, but the final version of this project should be accurate to what is being exported from AE.

Return to posts index

Dan Quintero
Re: Using Titles From AE in FCP as a Clean Overlay
on May 6, 2010 at 6:22:11 pm

Export with alpha channels (channels: rgb+alpha, something like animation)... straight or premultiplied... most likely straight.

Go fly fishing.

Return to posts index

Brett Putman
on May 6, 2010 at 6:48:57 pm

still not working.
i exported to alpha and the RBG separately and matched up their positions in FCP and played with the composite modes until it ended up working, but now there is a thin black outline around all of the lettering.

even though exporting the alpha and the RBG gets me like 90% of the way there, it does not seem like the right way to do it.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 6, 2010 at 6:56:29 pm

[Brett Putman] " thin black outline around all of the lettering. "

That's 'cause you don't know the difference between a Straight and a Premultiplied alpha channel.

Here, watch and learn about alpha channels:
http://cowcast.creativecow.net/multimedia_101/episodes/CC_101_AlphaiPod_Lo....

...then watch and learn about Straight and Premultiplied alpha channels:
http://cowcast.creativecow.net/multimedia_101/episodes/CC_101_StraightiPod_...

Actually, it sounds like you could learn a lot from the rest of the Multimedia 101 offerings, too:
http://podcasts.creativecow.net/multimedia-101-podcast

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dan Quintero
on May 6, 2010 at 7:11:05 pm

You can't tell me it doesn't work when you don't do it right.

Straight versus Premultiplied. No need to export multiple layers, just one.

Take a gander at Dave's links. These are the basics you need to know about when it comes to alpha channels.

Save the whales, and layers too.

Good luck!

Go fly fishing.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 6, 2010 at 6:49:44 pm

[Dan Quintero] "Export with alpha channels (channels: rgb+alpha, something like animation)... straight or premultiplied... most likely straight"

Or better still, forget the exporting nonsense and Render using AE's Render Queue. One big benefit: you can batch process of as many AE comps as you like.

Using alpha channels gives you transparency, which is what you seek. For work in FCP, you need a codec that supports alpha channels:
Animation (great for animated lower-thirds),
PNG (good for more complicated images)
or ProRes 4444 (available only if you have AE installed on the same machine with FCP 7).

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Brett Putman
on May 6, 2010 at 9:44:27 pm

Fixed!

Thanks, guys!

Return to posts index

adam chesbrough
on Oct 20, 2010 at 5:01:22 pm

I watched both those tutorials and have a AE project that I need to render out with transparent background to insert into my FCP timeline (prores LT, 720p).

I selected RGB+alpha, millions of colors+, premultiplied (matte), the animation codec, and quicktime format.the black background still remains, not sure why everyone else on this fourm is having success and I can't figure out how this work. Anyone know what I am doing wrong?

macbook pro 17" i7, 8GB RAM
esata external HD 7200RPM
-----
canon 5D mark II, 24-70mm, 50mm, 15mm fisheye, juicedink DT454, zacuto striker

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 20, 2010 at 5:07:51 pm

FCP's default setting is for Straight, not Premultiplied alpha channels. If it's just your edges looking goofy, you need to make that change, and remember to make Straight alpha channels for FCP.

If the whole screen -- not just the edges -- is black, it sounds like you don't have transparency. Did you double-check your comp prior to rendering by turning on the checkerboard background, using the switch at the bottom of the AE comp window??

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

adam chesbrough
on Oct 20, 2010 at 5:14:10 pm

Thanks for the quick reply and you had it right...i simply dont have transparency, but im not sure why. My comp has the following:
-camera
-lens flare
-text
-adjustment layer
-light beam

I am not using a black matte background or anything that should disable the transparency, what do you think is going on? I really appreciate your help.

-----

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 20, 2010 at 5:21:58 pm

You've got one of those effects on a solid, and you have the effect on its "On Original" setting rather than "On Transparent"?

You didn't create transparency for your lens flare by using something like Unmult?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

adam chesbrough
on Oct 20, 2010 at 6:20:48 pm

I am relativity new to AE and am not sure where the "on original" vs "on transparent" settings are. I did not use unmult as I dont have that plugin. I have attached a screen shot of the timeline.

-----

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 20, 2010 at 6:25:05 pm

Unmult is a free download. Google it.
Open up your effects windows and scrutinize them, typically near the bottom of each effect for the original/transparent switch.
I see no screen shot.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

adam chesbrough
on Oct 20, 2010 at 8:17:25 pm

this is definitely an issue with the lens flare layer, but I can't find any place to turn transparency on or off. Unmult doesnt seem to be available for CS5 yet, but I just download and installed pixelbender toolkit but of course can't find out where these plugins were installed.
I should be able to figure this out within the lens flare effect window, but can't seem to...I have included a screen shot this time.

-----

Return to posts index

Jon Shaw
on May 27, 2011 at 12:19:51 am

Did you manage to fix this? I am having the same issue, I export via the render queue rgb+alpha as an animation, I then import into FCP and the title has a black background, so I set the composite mode to screen to get a semi decent version but the title is still not sharp and it looks like the opacity is slightly off

http://www.ginclearfilm.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]