FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mp4 H.264 rendering, issue and bad quality

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Emil Niemi
Mp4 H.264 rendering, issue and bad quality
on Apr 26, 2010 at 4:18:49 pm

So i tried out make some grass etc, played with the camera focus abit.

Made this in 29,974 (or something like that) FPS.
And size was 480x270.

Rendered out as H.264 and mp4 is the file format.

Now when put this on youtube it gets total failed quality, and also a gray issue in start of the video.
My question is how do i fix this? Why does this happend?

This same gray issue i got when rendering out from Sony Vegas 9C too..

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Mp4 H.264 rendering, issue and bad quality
on Apr 26, 2010 at 4:23:45 pm

Dave's Stock Answer #3:

Don't use AE to compress files for final delivery. The various compressors are there only to make quick 'n dirty files showing a project's progress to producers, clients, the kids, etc. AE is incapable of doing multipass encoding, a crucial feature that greatly improves the image quality of H.264 and MPEG-type files in particular.

Render a high-quality file from AE, and use a different application to do the compression. Popular ones are Adobe Media Encoder, Sorenson Squeeze and Apple's Compressor, which comes bundled with Final Cut Suite. Even compressing in Quicktime Pro is better than compressing in AE.

Making good-looking compressed files is almost as much an art as it is a science. It is NOT straightforward at all. I recommend asking a few questions at the COW's Compression Techniques forum.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Emil Niemi
on Apr 26, 2010 at 4:59:30 pm

hum okays.
But later i will render this out in some way, and import it to Sony Vegas, and there i will put in all the parts together (i'll make the whole movie in Sony Vegas, but some parts will be from after effects).

So i wonder how would i render this out from sony vegas than?
I mean, will i use any other software for this? And if so, how do i than render out this from vegas, what fileformats etc..

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 26, 2010 at 5:08:07 pm

[Emil Niemi] "...later i will render this out in some way, and import it to Sony Vegas, and there i will put in all the parts together..."

Does this mean that before your problem render that you imported footage from Vegas into AE, and was it also H.264? If yes, you have other issues:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, mts, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

[Emil Niemi] "ow do i than render out this from vegas, what fileformats etc.."

Sorry, I don't know anything about Vegas, and I don't know anyone who does.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Paul Conigliaro
on Apr 26, 2010 at 5:10:11 pm

You'll want to look around the web a bit for recommendations on compressing for YouTube. Compression is already a dark art filled with voodoo. It gets even more complicated when uploading to sites like Vimeo and YouTube where the file is further compressed.

For what it's worth, I render out QuickTimes with 2-pass H.264 at 5Mbps to upload to Vimeo. Even at 720p, this tends to hold up, at least on Vimeo. To be honest, I rarely use YouTube*, but I'd imagine they're using similar compression technologies.

*YouTube is great for easily sharing videos, but I just can't get behind most of the "community" where it is just far too painful for most of them to comment with any grain of insight… but that's another story.

Adobe CS4, Apple FCS3
[Disclaimer: Sometimes I am an idiot and misinterpret people's posts. I'm sorry.]

Return to posts index

Emil Niemi
on Apr 27, 2010 at 1:19:21 pm

Hmm ok thx, asked on the compression forums so.
Well i rendered out with QuickTime container, idk what settings i choosed, but it was pretty good quality.
Then putted it into Sony Vegas.
And here i've the only problem left, to render out to a great quality youtube video.

Tried just with MPEG-2, was abit better quality than the MP4, but still it needs better.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 27, 2010 at 2:30:21 pm

Why don't you look on Vimeo to see what kinds of files you need?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Emil Niemi
on Apr 27, 2010 at 8:47:12 pm

Sorry i don't really understand what you're saying there :S
I'm going to upload this on youtube for the reason its huger, also more people will watch the video.

I don't know how i can watch on vimeo what files i need.

Also for youtube it says about MPEG-2, MPEG-4 and one or a few more.
Problem is the settings on Sony Vegas.
There's settings like: B-frames, I-frames, Profile, level, Constant/variable bit rate. Etc

Also found MPEG-2 better quality for youtube than i did with MPEG-4 so far, but i think its still too bad quality =|

But i'll tomorrow make the video and then when im done i'll try out all formats with all settings and will find out the right one problary.

Return to posts index

Paul Conigliaro
on Apr 27, 2010 at 8:58:12 pm

Like I said before, compression is a black art full of voodoo. Your best bet is to experiment and see what looks best. I can tell you that a two-pass VBR compression will yield better results than CBR.

Really, the art of compression is a bit beyond the scope of the After Effects forum and it will vary depending on the program used, so again, experimentation is your best friend.

Regarding Vimeo, on many videos there is a link on the right side of the page below the video info to download the source file used. This might go a long way in helping you to determine things like resolution, codec, and bitrate, but won't help you with things like B-frames and I-frames.

-conigs
[Disclaimer: Sometimes I am an idiot and misinterpret people's posts. I'm sorry.]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]