FORUMS: list search recent posts

Error reading/rendering Apple Pro Res HQ files

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sharad Patel
Error reading/rendering Apple Pro Res HQ files
on Apr 21, 2010 at 4:19:40 pm

I'm running into nonstop errors occuring during rendering and even scrubbing through movie files imported into an AE project. I'm on a mac, on AE CS4, on the snow leopard OS.

The files were rendered at 29.98 fps (apple pro Res HQ codec) out of a previous AE project, but I'm interpreting them at 23.976 fps after importing into a new AE project. I have a feeling that me trying to play them at a slower frame rate is what is causing the problem.

Does anyone else have this problem? Or are you able to recreate the situation and error?

The error: "Error (4) reading frame from file "/Volumes/FINAL FRONTIER/final frames and edit/scene 02 24p.mov". (86 :: 2)"

I prefer Rob Bottin to Rick Baker

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Error reading/rendering Apple Pro Res HQ files
on Apr 21, 2010 at 4:51:45 pm

[Sharad Patel] "The files were rendered at 29.98 fps... out of a previous AE project, but I'm interpreting them at 23.976 fps after importing into a new AE project."

Do you mean 29.97 or 23.98? It has a bearing on the motion in your final render, but no bearing whatsoever on your current problem.

[Sharad Patel] "The files were rendered... apple pro Res HQ codec... out of a previous AE project..."

Unless Final Cut Pro 7 was also installed on the same machine with this previous AE project, I question your claim that the footage is ProRes HQ, because the codec is only available on machines with FCP 7 installed.

Now, if the footage is indeed ProRes HQ, but you're now on a different machine with no FCP 7, you're hosed. Apple makes a free QT ProRes reader, but it doesn't include the ability to read HQ.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Sharad Patel
on Apr 21, 2010 at 5:40:24 pm

I did mean 29.97, and I'm interpreting the footage at 23.976.

I think I have discovered a problem with apple pro res HQ:

If you reinterpret 29.97 apple prores HQ footage as 23.976 (it should just play slower) but in after effects or even in final cut pro (where you can change the frame rate interpretation using cinema tools) an apple pro res file will sometimes just freak out and not play or display.

It must have something to do with the intermediate non-existent frames. The compression must specifically only be able to be decoded at the same framerate it was encoded in.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 21, 2010 at 6:08:38 pm

I think you DID find a ProRes HQ bug. Any chance you can re-render the old stuff in ProRes 422?

Unless you're working with something like 2K files from a RED camera, ProRes HQ is generally considered overkill in FCP circles... even for 1920x1080 stuff where you want excellent quality.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Sharad Patel
on Apr 21, 2010 at 6:22:08 pm

Yes, I think my only choice is to not go with the apple pro res HQ. I was doing this as an archival/master format that I could handle on my home studio setup.

I'm plan on some extensive color manipulation later on to the footage and felt like the deeper (but still space economical) the file depth the better.

What do you recommend? I can easily take my clips into compressor and re-output them into a bigger more stable framed format.

You recommend pro res 422?

I could also go with a good old PNG uncompressed frame sequence for each clip.

thank you so much for the response! Where should I post about this problem with the codec? To warn others?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 21, 2010 at 8:30:29 pm

[Sharad Patel] "I could also go with a good old PNG uncompressed frame sequence for each clip. "

Bingo. If you don't mind image sequences, you won't lose a thing. My second choice: QT's PNG codec.

[Sharad Patel] "Where should I post about this problem with the codec? To warn others?"

Y'know, I'd be tempted to post in the COW's Final Cut Pro Forum, taking the "I had an odd thing happen to me the other day" sort of approach. The heavy hitters there know more about ProRes HQ than anybody, I think.

Thinking about that just sparked an idea: what if you duplicated the 29.97 HQ file for safety's sake, and used Cinema Tools to conform it to 23.976?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 21, 2010 at 9:50:14 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "....what if you duplicated the 29.97 HQ file for safety's sake, and used Cinema Tools to conform it to 23.976? "

I now see that you too had that thought and already said so. Duh.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Sharad Patel
on Apr 21, 2010 at 6:46:52 pm

I'm doing work like this:

http://www.vimeo.com/10036011

Return to posts index

Sharad Patel