FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problems With Square Pixels

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carlos Peña
Problems With Square Pixels
on Apr 21, 2010 at 2:55:27 pm

Hello i have this problem, im making a video and i wanted to do it in hd, is a video that is going to be in some local festivals, but, the director wanted in HD, my doubt is, is it better with square pixels or with 1.33 or something like that?

I would really thank any help hehe

Used To be a Paladdin...
Used To be a Leggend...
Used To be a Guardian...
But now...
Im Nothing but a Memmory...

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Problems With Square Pixels
on Apr 21, 2010 at 3:33:04 pm

Who is in charge -- you or the director?

What OTHER kind of footage is being shot for this video?

How do you intend to play back HD video for the festivals?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Carlos Peña
on Apr 22, 2010 at 6:59:01 am

First of all i gotta say, im mexican, so sorry if i cant say things very well...

Well my director is in charge, but she trust all this thing to me, but im new using HD, my director, and using after effects hehe, so, i have been editing on premiere pro, and i know a more than basics, i know is not the same, i have been editing a lot of things ("texturize" and "brightness and contrast" the most, but also doing some work with mask, thats why the most im using AE) of this video, the video is made by a technique named "Pixilation" we made it with real ppl (im adding the trailer made for the first cut http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ-mJtnPBnI) so originally the footage was HQ pictures, that was eddited into a HD video exported in Final cut, so now im working with that and like adding som Effects that my director wanted, and for extra she said she wanted on HD, and well i guess the playback is going to be in projectors, but i think that is not for sure that all the projectors are going to be hd projectors, soo we dont want to make different copies etc etc hehe, so can you help me dave?

Used To be a Paladdin...
Used To be a Leggend...
Used To be a Guardian...
But now...
Im Nothing but a Memmory...

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 23, 2010 at 2:32:35 pm

[Carlos Peña] "...i think that is not for sure that all the projectors are going to be hd projectors, soo we dont want to make different copies..."

Then you should work in 1920x1080. It is a 16x9 screen aspect ratio, and from it you can make HD files for Blu-Ray HD projectors, and Widescreen standard-definition for DVD players.

A word about frame rates: it is ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL that you use the proper frame rates in your AE work.

You say that you're working at 24fps. Unless your source footage is 2K, 3K or 4K image sequences made from film scans, you are probably wrong. If this film was shot on a video camera, the chances are very good that the frame rate should be 23.976 fps. This frame rate has other names, such as 24p or 23.98, but they are both actually 23.976, which you should use in your AE work.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Carlos Peña
on Apr 22, 2010 at 7:02:23 am

Oh i forgot the size is 1920X1080 at 24 FPS

Used To be a Paladdin...
Used To be a Leggend...
Used To be a Guardian...
But now...