FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best Footage Encoding

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
quincy hall
Best Footage Encoding
on Apr 8, 2010 at 10:22:29 pm

My question is: What is the most reliable footage format to use in AE CS3 and Final Cut Pro Studio 3 ?

I've had this problem with AE:
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/947990

In addition I've not always been able to import video into final cut until I updated my Quicktime.

I've come to the conclusion that your standard jpg encoded .mov is the way to go. Am I right? My software is dated, so I can see my choices are a little limited.

My stuff is not HD it will just be displayed on a projector for 200 people. I may include some motion graphics, so I'm not sure if that should effect my choice

I'm using an older machine G5, OS 10.5, 4 gigs RAM duel core. It's sluggish but works.

Thanks for the help!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Best Footage Encoding
on Apr 9, 2010 at 1:52:10 am

[quincy hall] "I've come to the conclusion that your standard jpg encoded .mov is the way to go. Am I right?"

You'll be okay.

I see from the thread linked above, you have an aversion to the Animation Codec; thus, I recommend Photo JPEG at 95% - 100%. Since you don't say how you intend to play back your AE work, you'll be able to compress to a good playback codec with minimal loss of quality.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 9, 2010 at 2:06:07 pm

Here's a couple other things to try: if you simply DO NOT want to use Animation, you could also render your animations using the PNG codec, which is also lossless. If you don't want to do that, you could render in the codec of your FCP edit timeline, which means no re-rendering in FCP.

I'd avoid the second option if working in DV or HDV. Not only is HDV imported footage toxic to AE, it is an EXTREMELY lossy codec, like DV. In this instance, you'd be better off, when the edit is done and locked in FCP, to duplicate the edit timeline, change the duplicate's codec to ProRes 422, and rendering in ProRes 422 out of AE.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

quincy hall
on Apr 9, 2010 at 8:03:16 pm

Thanks. You've been very helpful!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]