FORUMS: list search recent posts

Disney style bouncing ball over song lyrics

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil Weaver
Disney style bouncing ball over song lyrics
on Apr 8, 2010 at 1:07:29 pm

Hi all,

Any suggestions on the easiest way I might add a disney style bouncing ball to some sing-along lyrics on a music video? Is there any software out there that might do it?

Cheers,

Neil

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Disney style bouncing ball over song lyrics
on Apr 8, 2010 at 1:17:23 pm

In a precomp, animate the bouncing ball's up-and-down motion to the beat of the music.

If the music beat is
  • DEAD SOLID PERFECTLY THE SAME
  • throughout the piece, you could try a loop out expression to maintain the bounce. Otherwise, you'll have to tweak it by hand, which isn't all that tough.
    Hey, it's a LOT easier to do it now than when the Disney animators originally did it, y'know?

You could TRY using Trapcode Soundkeys to animate the bounce, but I don't hold out much hope for getting that consistent up-and-down travel of the ball that's typical of that kind of animation.
    AE's own Convert Audio To Keyframes command would be a total cluster f**k, I fear.

When you have the bouncing right, nest the comp into the comp with the words, and move it horizontally as necessary. Done.

Dave LaRonde
    Sr. Promotion Producer
    KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Steve Roberts
    on Apr 8, 2010 at 1:43:13 pm

Yes.

... and using "separate dimensions" for the ball's position property might make it easier. Or it might not.

Return to posts index

Neil Weaver
    on Apr 8, 2010 at 2:33:32 pm

Yikes, I was hoping it would be easier than that!

Thing is, the ball needs to animate to the lyrics, not the beat, so looping an animation won't work.

The issue I have is that this particular job is about as low budget as they come and so the solution I come up with has to be as simple and easily achieved as possible.

Perhaps animating a left to right colour change of the on-screen lyrics might be an easier fix?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
    on Apr 8, 2010 at 2:49:00 pm

Yeah, it will be easier, but there isn't any way to do it as much automation as you hope.

You'll still have to scrub to the beginning of each syllable, then split the text layer (cmd-shift-d Mac), highlight the portion of the text that will change color, and change it. It helps to have swatches of the two typeface colors handy so you can just eyedropper the color changes... and fix mistakes. They happen.

Obviously, this is far easier if you use AE's built-in text layers; you can paste in text from another application. I do it from Text Edit in OS 10. It also helps to pick two VERY different color and brightness values to make the change apparent to the viewer.

Dave LaRonde
    Sr. Promotion Producer
    KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Steve Roberts
    on Apr 8, 2010 at 5:28:52 pm

Yeah. Lose the ball.

Animate the opacity of the overlaid text elements by character, with no smoothness, square, opacity at 0. I like to keyframe the Offset. Make the first key a hold, and the rest will follow. Keyframe according to what you see on the waveform (LL shortcut), then listen and tweak the key positions in time. Saving as a preset, or checking AE's presets, should speed it up a bit.

Given that syllables aren't always marked by detectable changes in amplitude, it's folly to look for an automated solution. Ya gotta slog.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Allen
    on Apr 8, 2010 at 6:09:06 pm

As there always seems to be a million different ways to do something, I might try a slightly different approach. I would create the first line(blue), duplicate it and change the color(red). Now make a rectangular mask for the red layer. Drag it all the way to the left so you don't see the red layer. Set a hold keyframe for the mask path. You can hold command to hear the music while you scrub the timeline. As each word is sang, move the playhead to that point in time and reposition the mask so the red words appear. A new hold keyframe will be created automatically. Now you have blue words turning to red whenever the words are sang. Obviously you can use whatever colors you want.

Once you have the first line complete, you could either start from scratch for each new line, or duplicate the previous line (both layers), change the text and tweak the mask keyframes on the red layer. Instead of duplicating layers, another option might even be to use only the first two layers, with a source text expression that changes the line at the appropriate times. You could also have a source text expression on the red layer that gets the text from the blue layer. Then you only have to change the blue layer for every new line and the red layer will change automatically. You will still have to re-animate the mask for each new line of course.

This method will eliminate splitting layers and having to animate the opacity of every single red word. Its still a bit tedious, but as the others have mentioned, there is just no good way to automate this kind of thing.

---------------------------------------------
    8core MacPro, 3.0 GHZ, 10GB RAM, OSX 10.5.6

C4D 11.5
    AE CS3
    FCP 6.0.1

Return to posts index

Neil Weaver
    on Apr 8, 2010 at 9:04:41 pm

Thanks for the input all.

I think this might actually be one of those times when Final Cut has the advantage over AE.

First of all, I'm gonna lose the ball -budget's just too low to bother with it. Then I'm gonna use a similar technique to Jeremy's, with a duplicated subtitle layer in two different colours, keyframing a left to right crop in synch with the lyrics.

The advantage of doing it in final cut of course, will be the real time playback. Even at a quarter resolution, AE is gonna chew up too much rendering time.

Cheers!

Return to posts index

Ellery Rose
    on Apr 16, 2010 at 2:08:36 am

I have an old Win 95 program that I use. It is very accurate.
    It will still work with XP and limited with Vista.
    Here is a youtube sample

and here

or you can read about it at LOMAHMUSIC.com

Ellery

Return to posts index

Philip Howarth
    on Oct 12, 2011 at 12:00:28 pm

Hi Elery, is it possible to download your bouncing ball programme, I have been asked to try to provide something like this for a roundtable dinner, and have no idea where to start!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
    © 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
    [TOP]