FORUMS: list search recent posts

Keying

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan Gilbert
Keying
on Mar 31, 2010 at 6:04:44 pm

I green screened my subject outside and keyed it in AE by using the multiple color keys and using keylight. Now I have a black outline and a little bit of white pixels on the edge of my subject. How can I correct this?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Keying
on Mar 31, 2010 at 6:19:43 pm

What kind off footage did you shoot? HDV? If you did, you may have to convert the footage to a different codec BEFORE you try to pull the key:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, mts, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jonathan Gilbert
on Mar 31, 2010 at 7:26:44 pm

thanks for response! It was shot in HDV imported as Apple ProRes and I converted it to H.264 for performance issues with my computer. What do you suggest I should convert the footage to? DVCPRO HD?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 31, 2010 at 7:46:42 pm

If you can get by with ProRes -- yeah, I know it's iffy for you -- that's your best bet for a Mac that also runs FCP. Other good ones are Quicktime's PNG codec (lossles), Animation (big file size, still lossless), Photo JPEG at best quality... and then DVCPro HD.

But that's just me. Someone else may have a different order of preference for different reasons.

The thing I'm puzzled about is WHY ProRes is an issue with you. If you've only got 4GB RAM on your machine, you really shouldn't use multiprocessing, and in any case you should read this:
http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2009/12/performance-tip-dont-starve-yo.h...

And if you're using Open GL when rendering, turn it off and keep it off: it's only rarely useful, and very frequently harmful.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Alperen T. Ayhan
on Mar 31, 2010 at 7:53:31 pm

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/rabinowitz_aharon/junk_mattes.php

I think this tutorial will give you some idea.. One of the best solutions for green screening, simple and easy..

Alperen T. AYHAN
http://www.sinamasal.com
Always cinema...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]