FORUMS: list search recent posts

why is AE adding grain/moiré to corner of my shots?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Derek Tokar
why is AE adding grain/moiré to corner of my shots?
on Mar 28, 2010 at 4:58:23 am

Hi,
I'm experiencing a strange phenomenon at the moment. I'm creating camera moves for a bunch of still photographs, and after rendering I'm noticing that there is a weird grain & moiré effect happening and it always seems to appear in the bottom right hand corner of my comps. I didn't notice it when I built the comps, but after seeing it in the render I'm going back and finding it. It just seems to pop up for a few frames then it disappears again. I know it's not filter related as I've turned everything off, there are no grain effects or anything like that. It seems to be camera position related if that makes sense. It's as though if the image and camera hit some magic plane it pops up, and only in some comps. I've found that sometimes I can alleviate it if I move the image to a different point on the Z axis, but I'm really curious as to what causes the problem -- I'd rather not have to go back and change a bunch of moves if i don't have to...

Does anyone have any experience with this issue? Is it something completely obvious?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Erik Waluska
Re: why is AE adding grain/moiré to corner of my shots?
on Mar 28, 2010 at 5:19:43 pm

Derek, I sounds like you have some images that are stacked on top of each other and have the same Z position, which can cause the problem you are describing. You just need to be sure the layers have at least 1 or 2 pixels of separation in their Z position.

-E

Return to posts index

Derek Tokar
on Mar 28, 2010 at 5:26:18 pm

Hey Erik,
I figured it out. It wasn't stacked images, there was only one image onscreen at a time when it was occurring. What it was was that I had the DOF on on the camera in those comps and somehow that was causing the problem. I wasn't using the DOF so I just shut it off and the problem went away. Not sure why that was causing the problem, but must've been a conflict with the DOF and the position of the Z plane of the images...

Thanks for the response!

Return to posts index

Erik Waluska
on Mar 28, 2010 at 8:38:17 pm

Thanks for the update. I don't know why the DOF would cause that problem either but I'm glad to hear you got it fixed.

-E

Return to posts index

John Damoose
on Jan 14, 2012 at 5:09:53 pm

I have been having the same exact problem. I hesitate to call it "grainy" since it is not anything like either the desirable graininess one might add to a shot, or the graininess that comes from poorly lit situations, etc. It was almost a bunch of tiny black dots that would appear for several seconds in the middle of a camera move, then disappear suddenly, and the video was clear again.

The depth of field setting correction listed above fixed the problem immediately. I've been struggling with this for some time now, especially since the problem only occurred sporadically, and am thrilled to find the solution.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]