FORUMS: list search recent posts

Anamorphic Widescreen 24p HELLLPPPP!!!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Trevor Styles
Anamorphic Widescreen 24p HELLLPPPP!!!
on Mar 19, 2010 at 8:33:17 pm

Hello everyone--I am at my wits end, so I pray someone may be able to help me. To start things off, I have some VERY problematic footage. Half of my film was shot in 24p advanced mode withan anamorphic 16:9 lens on the Panasonic AGDVX100a. The rest (the "B" footage) was shot with the next best camera, my Sony VX2100...but at 29.97 and in 4:3.

I have determined that I will convert the 29.97 to 24p using Magic Bullet Frames Plus, and convert it to Widescreen, since (hopefully) this will be the footage used the least.

My question is this:

I am editing in CS4. When I import my footage, it reads it as 29.97 and is "stretched" vertically. I "Interpret" the footage, and change my pixel aspect ratio to "Widescreen" and "remove 24p pulldown"....now my footage looks PERFECT....HOWEVER....when I need to export to After Effects, to do my color correction, and special effects, everything gets confused. I render an UNCOMPRESSED AVI and then bring it into AE. my footage now looks "interlaced"...and "squished" again, and some of my frames appear "duplicated".
What am I doing wrong???

I am very confused...if I output an uncompressed AVI, shouldn't it just read EXACTLY as it is appearing to me in the timeline of Premiere?

My workflow:
Edit in Premiere. Render a clip for effects--bring into After Effects, and then render that, and then bring that clip into Premiere, replacing the original clip.

Can anybody help me with this? Thanks so much!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Anamorphic Widescreen 24p HELLLPPPP!!!
on Mar 19, 2010 at 9:03:06 pm

Since you shot this with an anamorphic lens, there are no flags in the footage to indicate that it's widescreen. You'll just have to deal with that throughout your workflow. It's no big deal.

It sounds like Premiere is simply "dealing" with the 24p footage -- it didn't remove the pulldown to create true 23.976 fps footage. You'd have to ask how to remove the pulldown on the COW's Premiere forum. I'm a Final Cut Pro guy.

If you captured entire tapes, you could be in trouble again. When shooting, did you review shots? Did you remove and reinsert tapes? Did you turn it on & off between shots? Did you change batteries? Do you REALLY think that tiny little tape transport will flawlessly maintain timecode and pulldown flags after all of that? It's a MACHINE, and machines screw up occasionally. It could result in confusing your editing application.

That's why you should capture individual shots only, setting a capture in point after the shot begins and setting a capture out point before the shot ends. Then you do a batch capture. That way, you maintain consistent time code and pulldown flags for each and every shot. You may even be able to remove the pulldown as you capture. You can do that in Final Cut Pro, and I presume Premiere can, too.

[Trevor Styles] "Render a clip for effects--bring into After Effects, and then render that, and then bring that clip into Premiere, replacing the original clip. "

I hope you're replacing those clips in a duplicated edit timeline and not the original, so you maintain access the original footage.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Trevor Styles
on Mar 19, 2010 at 9:22:22 pm

Thank you for the reply Dave--

That makes sense about the anamorphic footage---so don't "alter it" at all then----don't try to scale it to the correct aspect ratio?

As for rendering clips...

Priemer does interpret the pulldown correctly. I can tell by previewing in my timeline. The problem occurs when I try to render out a clip, so that I can bring that into After Effects. Once I render a clip...the problems come around. I can perfectly drop the entire original captured footage into Premiere, or After Effects, and have it correctly remove the (2:3:3:2) pulldown. If I render straight fom After Effects (using the raw footage), it does a perfect render--23.976, with no duplicate frames or interlacing.

HOWEVER....

If I render a clip out of Premiere using the raw footage (UNCOMPRESSED AVI)....this clip is messed up---looks interlaced, and does not look like Progressive frames.

My timeline says 23.976, and when I scrub through, it "appears" like it is full frames with no interlacing...but my render doesn't come out that way.

Any idea on this?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 19, 2010 at 9:31:47 pm

[Trevor Styles] "don't try to scale it to the correct aspect ratio?

.......If I render a clip out of Premiere using the raw footage (UNCOMPRESSED AVI)....this clip is messed up---looks interlaced, and does not look like Progressive frames. "

You need to interpret the footage properly in AE -- Highlight it, and go file>Interpret>Main. Change the pixel aspect ratio to 1.33 (I think that's what it is for Widescreen DV) and set the field order to none.

If that doesn't help, you've got other problems. And if I got the pixel aspect ratio wrong, you can always look it up in AE's online help.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Trevor Styles
on Mar 19, 2010 at 9:50:33 pm

Thanks Dave-I'll give that a shot in an hour (after 5) and let you know how it goes. I did notice that AE interprteted the clip on it's own. I guess I just figured it would "know" what it was doing. I also noticed that it applied 24p pulldown to the uncompressed file as well. On an Uncompressed AVI that was rendered from the 24p timeline, it shouldn't have to do any type of pulldown, should it? Perhaps something was rendered incorrectly?

My goal is to render out a small uncompressed clip from the Premiere timeline...apply my special effects in AE, and then bring that FX clip back onto my Premiere timeline.

I realize I have a "bear" of a project with many technical problems to overcome...a large one by itself is "upscaling" my 4:3 footage to 16:9. Do you know a good way to do this (with the least amount of resolution loss?) I know I shouldn't be asking such an "amateur question...but originally I was planning on using a letterbox to make both sets of footage conform...and then recently decided to do a true 16:9 image, since most of the footage we will use is from the Panasonic 24p camera.

THANKS AGAIN!!!!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 22, 2010 at 3:17:57 pm

Instant HD from Red Giant Software ought to help with your resolution problem.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]