FORUMS: list search recent posts

police car green and red flashing lights

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aqeel Sami
police car green and red flashing lights
on Mar 19, 2010 at 3:07:23 pm

what is the best way to do a police car green and red flashing lights on faces of persons in separate video footage.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: police car green and red flashing lights
on Mar 19, 2010 at 3:29:54 pm

The BEST way? Shoot it that way with a camera.

Practical effects -- especially one like this that is so easy to replicate -- are always best. If you try to replicate the look in After Effects it will take you forever to do and it will probably still look fake.

Dave's Stock Answer #2:

When you're out on a shoot, and you say, "we'll fix this in post" without knowing PRECISELY HOW you're going to fix it in post, don't shoot it! You'll only end up shooting it over again.

Since post typically costs three times the cost of production, fixing something in post is not a way to save money, but rather a way to spend more of it.

And, before you say "well fix it in post," always consider who's doing the work, especially if you're the one doing the work.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

scott novasic
on Mar 20, 2010 at 3:48:37 am

I LOVE it when they 'fix it in post'. Its how I make a living. Yes, a practical effect is great, but this is the after effects forum, so I would work some solids and some masks on those solids. Depending on how 'hard edged' yu want the look will dictate your masks feathering. I would precomp the lights timing first and mask the precomp so you can alter the lighting speed and color to taste. Use any overlay mode you like best with opacity settings. Realism is one thing. If you want a stylized look, which can be really cool than you can play with all kinds of masking and more to get your look.

SuperNova
Animation & Visual Effects
Scott Novasic
Los Angeles Ca
web:http://web.mac.com/finaleffects

Return to posts index

Aqeel Sami
on Mar 26, 2010 at 6:58:01 pm

sorry Dave you answered a similar question a year ago and i tried to follow but i couldn't do that successfully .can you send me a project file of that or simplify it for me. thanks alot.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 26, 2010 at 8:26:51 pm

Sorry, I have absolutely no recollection of that advice. Can you find a link to it?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Aqeel Sami
on Mar 26, 2010 at 9:58:43 pm

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/2/935718

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]