FORUMS: list search recent posts

Flip a Square

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charlie Cogar
Flip a Square
on Mar 18, 2010 at 5:01:12 pm

Hi,

I'm an inexperienced user, and want to flip a square visual like you would a "fan card" in a stadium. I think it's the Z axis?

I have 16 squares on-screen, 4 rows, 4 columns, and would like to build left-to-right as each square flips and the image changes.

Hit pause at the :50 mark in the following Pepsi commercial. People flip blue cards. I want have each square flip (rotate?).

Can anyone help?

Thank you very much,

Charlie Cogar

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Flip a Square
on Mar 18, 2010 at 5:15:55 pm

[Charlie Cogar] "I'm an inexperienced user..."

...and as such, you should know up front that AE can really hose you if you don't know the basics. No matter how much you want to get your feet wet RIGHT NOW, you need to learn them basics!

I can tell you want to get goin' ASAP. Make the following link your next stop, and READ EVERYTHING CAREFULLY: http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff.h...

[Charlie Cogar] "I have 16 squares on-screen, 4 rows, 4 columns, and would like to build left-to-right as each square flips and the image changes. "

You could use the Card Wipe Effect. It isn't an easy effect for newbies. There are a LOT of parameters to tweak. There are a lot of cool things that are easily overlooked. For example, you could make a luminance map in Photoshop (or precomp one in AE) to control the card turning sequence. So you have to read up on it, you have to look for tutorials on it, and then you also have to just PLAY with it.

See what I mean about the basics?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Charlie Cogar
on Mar 18, 2010 at 6:13:09 pm

Thanks very much Dave, and I agree, concur, and know exactly what you mean by them basics!

I will proceed and persevere to learn as much as possible ASAP.

Kind regards,

Charlie Cogar
Omaha, Nebraska

Charlie Cogar

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Mar 18, 2010 at 6:29:03 pm

Don't be surprised if "ASAP" turns out to be quite some time. AE is a very complex program. Which means it's very powerful. Tough to learn, but amazing once learned.

Dave's right though. Get stuck in to the seemingly boring basics now or you head into a world of frustration later.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]