FORUMS: list search recent posts

Premultiplied compositions on another?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mikko Kovasiipi
Premultiplied compositions on another?
on Mar 11, 2010 at 3:21:28 pm

Hello.

I have one question. How can I premultiply a composition when I put it on top of another composition? I've done a animation on another file (.aep) and then I imported the file to the one I'm working with. Then I drag and dropped the old Sequence to this new one and I get this black halo effect on blurred areas like it's not premultiplied video clip. I've tried to change the background color to white and I'm still getting the black halo. How can I get it off? :)

Thanks.

Mikko.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Premultiplied compositions on another?
on Mar 11, 2010 at 3:45:26 pm

Let me see if I understand what you're saying. You have a composition in which there is a layer. This layer has a blur effect applied. When you bring that composition into another composition it has a dark halo to the edge.
Is that correct?
Does that change if you raise or lower the blur amount?
What blur effect are you using?
Is it applied directly to a layer or is it applied to an adjustment layer?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Joey Foreman
on Mar 11, 2010 at 3:56:07 pm

Be sure that AE is interpreting your footage correctly in the Project Pane Interpret Footage dialogue.

Return to posts index

Mikko Kovasiipi
on Mar 12, 2010 at 7:38:58 am

Yes Michael you understand me right. I'm using fast blur and if I blur it more it will show more halo. Joey, I can't interpret the footage any way because it's a Composition.

Return to posts index

Joey Foreman
on Mar 12, 2010 at 3:25:57 pm

Sorry, I misread your post. That's an odd issue. Just out of curiosity, what codec did you render the underlying layer to?

Also, could you post a screenshot of your user interface, showing the problem, as well as your layers, etc.?

Return to posts index

Mikko Kovasiipi
on Mar 12, 2010 at 3:43:58 pm

The footage under the blurred composition is Apple ProRes 444 but I don't know how any other codecs could fix it. The top blurred composition is quite complex, I used quite a lot of stuff from this Video Copilot tutorial http://videocopilot.net/tutorials/3d_ball_dispersion/ and the blurred effect is on that CC Ball Action filter.

Return to posts index

Joey Foreman
on Mar 12, 2010 at 3:50:13 pm

I just wanted to make sure you weren't using an incompatible codec.
All sorts of anomalies can pop up with interframe compression in AE.

A screenshot would really be helpful.

Return to posts index

Mikko Kovasiipi
on Mar 12, 2010 at 4:33:24 pm

Okay, here is the screen capture. The halo effect is not big in this, but it will show in final rendering. I have an idea why it is happening, maybe it's because of the CC Ball Action filter and how it makes the balls. It makes black borders to them so it looks a bit 3d or so.

http://www.mizako.com/halo.jpg

By the way, I had to blur the layer names and other stuff off and I took the background footage off too so people can't see who my client is and there are lots of sub-compositions and it takes ages to screencapture all of those. So if this helps, great.

Mikko.

(sorry my (even more) bad english today, I'm really tired and my brains are not working anymore :)

Return to posts index

Bruce Wainer
on Mar 14, 2010 at 2:55:42 am

[Mikko Kovasiipi] "maybe it's because of the CC Ball Action filter and how it makes the balls. It makes black borders to them so it looks a bit 3d or so."

If that is the case, try the unmult effect (it should be included in AE). It is meant to remove black edges from multiplied footage, and should remove the fringing. I'd make the effect as an adjustment layer inside the CC Ball Action precomp(s).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]