FORUMS: list search recent posts

After Effects pixelated font (very weird)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Lawrence
After Effects pixelated font (very weird)
on Mar 2, 2010 at 11:09:07 pm

Hello!

I'm using a mac with Adobe After Effects 9 , Photoshop cs4 , Final Cut Pro 5.0.4
I purchased an adobe after effects project. A very simple one that is 10 seconds long where you put in your logo.

I went into the project. inserted my logo saved in .psd format and then rendered the project. I took the .mov file and inserted it into final cut pro. Then I went to play it and the graphics were fine but my logo was pixelated and blurry.

I went back and viewed the .mov file on my desktop outside of final cut pro and it was fine (huge file so i couldnt play it smoothly but the logo was fine)

So I went back to after effects and checked settings to make sure that the cross line at the bottom for the logo was smooth and not blocked.

Im at a loss why the video clip in final cut pro is pixelated?

any ideas anyone? thanks

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: After Effects pixelated font (very weird)
on Mar 2, 2010 at 11:41:15 pm

my best guess would be that it is an interlace issue... either you rendered progressive from ae (this would be the default) and imported in fcp as interlaced, or the other way around...

either way, if you import the render back into ae, at the top of the project window it should tell you how ae is interpreting the footage (progressive, separating lower, etc.), see if you can change the import setting in fcp to match the render.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Mar 3, 2010 at 12:58:12 am

I re-imported the rendered .mov back into AE and in the project info it only said this:

_Final Comp.mov
1920x1080 (1.00)
0:00:12:01, 29.97 fps
millions of colors
animation

So it didnt say anything about progressive, seperating lower, etc)

With that I am unable to know what import settings I need to chang into fcp to match the render.

Any other possibilities or suggestions?

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Mar 3, 2010 at 4:05:02 am

I just spent the last 3 hours trying to import and export in all different ways. My brain is fried and I keep seeing when i search in google other people having similar problems but no real solution.

Return to posts index

Joey Foreman
on Mar 3, 2010 at 2:35:09 pm

Check your Final Cut Pro Sequence Settings and make sure that they match the footage exactly.

Same Resolution.
Same Codec - Animation - Not NTSC/DV
Same Frame Rate
Same Pixel Aspect Ratio
Field Dominance Set to None.

Starting with FCP 6, the sequence creation process became automated. With 5 you have to be more vigilant and make sure all this stuff matches up.

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Mar 5, 2010 at 4:01:10 am

Hello,

but what doesnt make sense is that even if I dont import anything into final cut pro and I just add text inside FCP at the end for example credits then it ends up all pixelated also!

I also imported a photoshop .psd file into fcp and that ened up pixelated also

same with Adobe after effects project

so if AE and FCP need to have same sequence settings which I still have not solved yet then how come fcp is giving the same problems with any and all text i try?

Return to posts index

Joey Foreman
on Mar 5, 2010 at 3:25:35 pm

Is there a colored bar (orange or yellow) above your clip in the sequence? This means you need to render.

Could you post a screen grab of your FCP UI, as well as one of your sequence settings?

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Mar 6, 2010 at 7:17:23 am

hello thanks for the help

the sequence color was red and what can you tell me what you mean by the UI settings?

I have attached pictures of

Adobe after effects settings I believe

what the logo looks like before its all pixelated in the exported AE .mov file

image of FCP sequence settings

image of what i looks like after all pixelated

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Mar 6, 2010 at 7:19:46 am

Return to posts index

Joey Foreman
on Mar 6, 2010 at 7:21:17 am

Have you tried just setting the Field Dominance to None?

Return to posts index

Joey Foreman
on Mar 6, 2010 at 7:22:10 am

In your FCP Sequence Settings.

Return to posts index

Joey Foreman
on Mar 6, 2010 at 7:23:54 am

Oh,and change the compressor to ProRes 422.

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Mar 6, 2010 at 7:28:10 am

hmm i looked in the compressor settings of my fcp 5 and there is no pro res option =(

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Mar 6, 2010 at 7:29:46 am

no pro res options as you can see in the picture

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Mar 6, 2010 at 7:32:50 am

so question how do i find out what the sequence settings are in after effects? i see different ones like project settings composition settings etc.

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Mar 6, 2010 at 7:35:47 am

i went into adobe after effects and found the composition settings and have attached a picture. not sure if this is what you were talking about?

Return to posts index

Joey Foreman
on Mar 6, 2010 at 8:05:39 am

I keep forgetting you're on 5. Change the Sequence Compressor to Apple Intermediate Codec. And do set the Field Dominance to None.

You'll need to render your sequence afterwards.

Those After Effects settings are for the Composition dimensions and frame rate, but they don't have anything to do with which codec you choose to render to.

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Mar 6, 2010 at 8:16:14 am

okay its loading so thank you by the way. also was curious on how to solve the text problem when i import a .psd from photoshop cs4 (its my logo) because the font has the same exact problem it becomes pixelated

lastly the same problem within final cut pro if i add text that text also becomes pixelated. Will these new sequence settings you gave me solve all of that or is it a problem completely seperated from this one.

Return to posts index

Joey Foreman
on Mar 6, 2010 at 8:18:51 am

Hopefully will solve all of it. I know I've got my fingers crossed:)

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Mar 6, 2010 at 8:22:38 am

not to make things more complicated and this question is in reference to the AE transfer to FCP 5 and making sure the sequence settings are the same. I have additional footage and this AE project is intended to be at the beginning of this as an intro (introducing the company name) now the rest of the footage has different settings I'm assuming is there going to be a conflict there too?

wow the complications:

settings from AE to FCP
then settings for importing a photoshop .psd
settings for the video footage that is attached for that

finallly the settings for the quicktime conversion on top of all that!

wow

Return to posts index

Joey Foreman
on Mar 6, 2010 at 8:34:17 am

I think you're overcomplicating this. In FCP your Sequence settings should match your final delivery settings. It's ok to render the AE file with less compression, i.e. Animation Codec. In FCP it will render down to your Sequence Settings's compressor. What this is should have been specified by your client.
If your AE render is non-interlaced which it is by default, then it will look jaggy in FCP if your Sequence Field Dominance is set to Upper or Lower.
And as far as settings themselves, there are only a hand few:

Resolution
Pixel Aspect Ratio
Frame Rate
Interlaced or Non.
Compression Codec

The reason I suggested changing your Sequence compressor to Intermediate Codec is that it has some of the advantages of the new ProRes codecs, and is good for maintaining quality of items rendered with higher quality codecs like Animation.
But that's immaterial if your client needs output back to tape or something. Otherwise Apple Intermediate should serve you well for a final Export from FCP, whether you're going to web or DVD.
But then you'll then to make another, differently compressed version for those, and that will need to be done in an application other than AE or FCP.

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Mar 6, 2010 at 8:42:35 am

IT WORKED IT WORKED!!! you have no idea the struggles i went through and you guys helped me and i got the intro video to look good finally!!!

yay =)

so the last question now is in reference to combining this intro video =) to the other footage. which I'm assuming i should keep the apple intermediate codec and sequence settings you gave me. if it is at the other settings even final cut pros option where i can input text gets pixelated.

so keep these settings i'm guessing?

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Mar 8, 2010 at 6:41:59 pm

can anyone help wit this?

I figured out how to match the sequences for a project from Adobe After Effects to Final Cut Pro 5. Then when that had been fixed I had the After Effects project AND another video project together. I want to export using quicktime conversion. What settings do i need to have in exporting to make sure both videos are not going to get distorted etc. This video is going to be then converted to FLV for website use.

Return to posts index

christian svanes
on Mar 13, 2010 at 6:19:59 pm

i've been following along in this discussion, and just wanted to say THANK YOU to those of you who have contributed. it has helped me resolve some similar AE export issues, for a project that i'm editing in FCP.

in my case, i created a series of text based graphics in photoshop (CS4), then moved those into AE (CS4), adding movement to the graphics (they essentially moved from right to left), then exported with alpha channel to FCP 5.1.4 - only to discover that the text-heavy graphics were very pixelated.

resolving the field dominance issue in FCP helped - by moving it to NONE. i'm also experimenting with doubling the frame rate for the AE composition, then re-importing that newly rendered mov. with alpha channel into FCP, making sure that the field dominance is none in the new FCP sequence.

i haven't upgraded to FCP 6 yet, but i'm looking forward to that, since it might make some of these kinds of issues less painful for a newbie like me to grapple with.

thanks again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]